Chapter 19: Pregame

It was now 5:30 in the morning, and it didn't look like Yoongi was waking up anytime soon. "I might as well work out. It's been a few days since I last visited my private gym."

I quietly walked out of the room after changing into some gym clothes. Apparently, I am not the only early bird. I saw Jungkook walking down the hall while looking at his phone when I turned around.

"Good morning, Jungkook. Heading somewhere?"

He froze, finally spotting me. "Yeah, I was heading to the gym for an early morning workout."

I nodded my head. "I was heading out to my private gym not too far from here. Want to tag along?"

"I'm game.

"I need to make my pregame protein shake first. Want one?"

He smiled, playfully bumping into my shoulder. "Sure, but I doubt it will be better than mine."

I smiled back. "I guess we will have to see."

We walked silently to the kitchen. It wasn't awkward or anything; it was comforting. As soon as we made it to the kitchen, I immediately took out the ingredients I would use to make our shakes.

"Is there anything specific you would like in your shake?

He gave me a cheeky grin. "I'll drink whatever you make."

"Good answer." We laughed at my sassy remark before Jungkook asked a question that I anticipated.

"Y/N, how did you do it? " he asked.

I looked at him, confused. "Tell me what I did, and maybe I can give you an answer."

"How did you get an Aromantic person like Yoongi to date you. The Yoongi I grew to know was a man too serious for relationships, and now he is walking around her like a lovesick teenager."

"I didn't do anything special, really. I was just myself without any expectations. Yoongi knew I admired him, and that's how far I would let my feelings go."

"Interesting. Tell me about yourself, Y/N."

He did not just, "Seriously, this is the question you want to start with? Are you interviewing me? What's next you going to ask me how I deal with conflict in the workplace?"

He laughed a hearty laugh. "Can you just answer the question, small fry? Yoongi kept you locked away like a princess in a tower; it was only natural for me to grow curious about you. "

"Is this your way of confessing?"

"Y/N, I swear to god,"

I smirked. "Here is your shake."

"Y/N," he whined.

I chuckled. "We better head out before the Yoongi wakes up and locks me away again."

"Come one. You really going to leave me hanging?" Jungkook complained, chasing after me.

Jungkook

Y/N parked the car. "Oh my god, Jungkook, please shut up," she yelled, gripping her hair.

"Not until you tell me what I want to hear." I taunted.

She sighed in defeat. "My name is Jung Y/N. I am 22 years old. I double-majored in Industrial Technology and Computer Science and graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Seoul. The day after my graduation Jimin reached out to me for an interview, and a week after that, Yoongi hired me. I have been diligently working under his guidance since then. I worked hard to become who I am today so that no one could ever hurt me without facing the consequence."

Did she really give the first page rundown of a background check "Seriously?"

"I answered your question." she typed in her passcode.

ACCESS GRANTED

"You talked about the beginning of your adulthood. What about your childhood?"

She paused her steps. Did I ask an insensitive question?

For what seemed like an eternity, I was going to tell her she didn't have to answer, but "I don't remember."

"Huh?"

"I have a vague memory about my childhood. I was told a car accident is what sealed my fate. But I woke up in the hospital with memories that weren't my own. I was motherless, brotherless, and left with a father that despised me to the very core. I was subjugated to abuse. My father threw his mind away to alcohol, and his body rotted from the inside due to drugs. I had a lonely childhood, but I met people that made life worth living."

I looked at her sadly. She reminds me a lot of myself. She could have let her circumstances turn her into a bottom-of-the-barrel person. The ones that feed on the weakness of others to hide their own inadequacies. Even though I don't have to, I feel the need to protect her.

I didn't want to ruin the good vibe we've created. "How about that rematch?" I said to change the subject.

"What?" she questioned.

"I said let's have that rematch. I was taking it easy on you the first time because I was instructed not to hurt you, but now no one is here to interfere. So, what do you say?"

She looked at me smugly. "Are you sure that was the only reason?"

"Are you challenging me?" I asked, amused.

"Depends. Do you think you can beat me?"

"I never back out of a challenge.

Y/N guided me to the back of the gym, where a boxing ring was located.

I looked around. "Holy shit, this is sweet. I have to get me one."

She smiled proudly. "You aren't afraid of a little blood spill, are you?" she questioned, throwing me a pair of boxing gloves and hand wrap.

I sneered, "Hell no, a little blood makes it worth the fight in my book."

She shook her head with a smirk on her face. "Glad we're on the same page.

"But will you be okay with your shoulder? Seokjin will kill me if your stitches reopen."

Pulling down the sleeve of her shirt, there was no evidence of her ever being shot.

My eyes widen. "How in the hell?"

"Magic." She simply said.

I took a closer look at her shoulder. "I knew you were a devil."

"I will take that as a compliment. You ready cupcake?"

"Let's get it short stack!"