Chapter 39: Mina

"How do I look?" I asked Momo, my best friend, and personal assassin.

Momo rolled her eyes. "Mina, you look good as always, and can you relax? You are making me anxious,"

"How can I relax when I'm seeing my future husband today? I must look my best. Grandfather said I need to snatch him up before someone else does. My grandfather would be disappointed otherwise." I said while checking myself in the hand mirror I had her holding.

She closed the mirror and placed it inside my purse. "You can't keep following behind what your grandfather says. He has lived his life already, and now you need to live yours."

"I know what you're saying, but he is the only family I have on my side after my parents turned their backs on me."

"I know that and know you only follow what he says for what he has done for you. But you need to open your eyes and smell the coffee. The King doesn't want you, and even if miraculously did, you're your heart will always belong to Ma-"

"Don't."

"Come on, Mina, it's been four years, and you still can't talk about your first love without getting emotional. Stop fooling yourself."

"I said don't. I left him without giving him a proper goodbye, and I haven't been in contact with him since. He probably hates me and moved on with his life."

She scoffed. "Are we talking about the same guy? The same guy who stood by your side through thick and thin, showered you with love, made you feel like the only girl in the world, and vowed his heart would only belong to you for all eternity? Are we talking about that guy? And don't even get me started on you."

"We were teenagers. We didn't know what we were saying back then. It would be a lie to say I don't miss him or think about him often. It would be a lie to say I don't love him even until this day. It would be a lie to say I want to hear his voice and be in his embrace again. But life has a funny way of taking what you want and wiping its ass with it."

She looked at me apologetically. "Well, if you keep frowning like that, you will crease your makeup which would be atrocious yet hilarious, if I might add."

I glared at her. "Are you even my friend?"

"Of course not," she said jokingly.

I playfully hit her arm. "I freaking hate you."

"Ask me if I care?"

"Do you..." she cut me off.

"Hell no!" she exclaimed. I hit her again while she just laughed.

Sana, Momo's cousin, back hugged her. "You two fighting again, I see. Are you sure you two are friends?"

Momo looked over her shoulder and smugly responded, "Like I told her, of course, we're not friends. I'm only here for the benefits."

I laughed and tried to hit her again. "You little-" she moved out of my reach.

She put her hands up in surrender. "I'm kidding, and you can't kill me because you love me too much. Who else would do your dirty deeds?"

"Your right. What would I do without you?" I said, batting my eyelashes.

She laughed. "Unnecessarily panic 24/7."

"Oh, give me a break."

Our attention was averted to the host. "Good evening, ladies, gents, Princesses, Princes, and assassins. The moment of truth is here. The Crimson Clan has finally arrived, and this time they have brought along some exceptional guests. One might even say our future Queen is among the mix."