Chapter 29: Temper

Irene paced back and forth, trying to control the anger building from within. Anger is a tricky emotion that must be repressed thoughtfully. My anger is simmering; I must turn off the heat before it boils over. A fire seed of anger can still inflame its surroundings. It starts off small and undetected, but if not extinguished at the source, it grows into a flame that destroys everything in its path. My anger has no filter, no boundaries, and shows no remorse. I swallowed my anger and cooled it with the pride of being a better me.

She couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened. "What the hell were you thinking, Seulgi? Your stupidity and carelessness could have gotten us killed."

"What are you talking about?" she said as she rolled her eyes.

"You picking fights on territory that doesn't belong to you and flaunting your money as if it buys respect."

"Money rules the world, and I wasn't picking a fight."

"Oh really? Let's playback."

...

They stood in front of the one people call Goddess of Hell's Peak protectively. "You are unknowns, non-factors, non-existing, unidentified bodies. And then you dare to step to us as if you own the place and speak as if you're untouchable. Mafia or not, you have no power here. This is my domain. I could have your head if I so desire. I don't know how you made it past the Keepers, but I will find out,"

"Excuse me."

"And who might you be?" she questioned.

"Bae Irene, sad to see I am the leader of the three troublemakers behind me. I am sorry on their behalf,"

Yeri cut me off. "Why are you acting so weak? Apologizing on our behalf, what you scared?"

Is she really testing me? I gripped her by her hair. "If I'm weak for choosing my battles, then so be it, but Yeri, you and I both know I could put you in your place at any time." baring teeth. "So, if you want to save face, I suggest you watch your mouth and stop following behind Seulgi and Wendy before I end your life with my bare hands."

"But Yeri's right. We don't need you apologizing for us. It makes not only you, but all of us look weak." Wendy said snobbishly.

"Umm, hello, can you please do this melodrama somewhere else? You're boring me." one of the girls said while looking at her nails.

Seulgi was about to respond but was interrupted by a male voice. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

"Excuse me, I was about to speak, rude." goddammit, Seulgi. I swear I'm going to wring her neck.

He scanned her from head to toe. "She's not from around here. Is she Lisa?"

"No, my dear cousin."

"I can tell because non-factors are unruly and dismissive of boundaries. It makes me question how such a person made it to the Underground." he stepped passed her. How embarrassing. I honestly couldn't help but laugh.

She sent me a glare. "How dare you be rude to me. Do you have any idea who I am? I could ruin you in seconds, " she argued, causing a scene.

This girl is so full of herself.

"No, I don't know who you are, but it's obvious you don't know who I am. I just wonder, who did you bribe to get in here? If there's one thing, I know people like you aren't worthy of experiencing the wonders of our world. Your bitchy attitude will get you and your friends killed." he said, annoyed by her self-centered attitude.

The small crowd was getting bigger. "Seulgi, let's go," I said, tugging her arm.

She pulled her arm away. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Listen, Seulgi, most people here had nothing to lose, but the man you're disrespecting helped them find their purpose. In their eyes, he is their savior, and they would defend him with their lives." Lisa pointed behind us. The crowd of people was giving us the deadliest of glares. "I suggested you leave while you can."

That was it I gripped her by her arm, pulling her away from the crowd, and here we are.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's a prime example of picking a fight you wouldn't have won. Besides, you can't take anything when you don't have anything to offer," I stated.

"That's why I have to win this race, or I will look like a fool for challenging her." God, could this girl be any more stupid?

"It's a little too late for that, don't you think, non-factor?" Joy asked, amused by all this.

"Watch your fucking mouth and stay in your place Joy," Wendy said in a threatening tone.

Yeri looked at her, annoyed. "Why are you and Irene scolding Seulgi? You are supposed to be on her side?"

I shook my head at this naive child, knowing she just wanted to be accepted by Seulgi and Wendy, but it would get her killed one day. "One, Seulgi and Wendy are always causing trouble, and you are not too far behind them. Two, I'm not on anyone's side. Right is right, and wrong is wrong."

"So, you think what I did was wrong? I never knew you to be so weak?" Seulgi questioned mockingly.

I gave her a sharp slap. "Your ignorance is a weakness, so you must really hate yourself. Just because Joy's and my family have been protecting yours for decades doesn't make us your servants. We won't always be around to save you. I suggest you three get your acts together, or I will have to use my methods to keep you in your place. You know I am not the one to be played with. You are Mafia Princess, not gods. " I angrily walked off, followed by Joy.

"We really got our work cut out for us?" Joy laughed.

"I'm completely done with those three," I said as I shut the door to my car.