Chapter 2: Kaz

Kaz rolled off his bed with a groan, glancing at the sun streaming through his window and the spot where his Wraith usually sat. It had been months since she left and Kaz missed her terribly, each day worse that the last. The Crow Club had welcomed many new recruits and Jesper and Wylan were taking shifts managing the floor.

        He hopped in the shower, letting the steaming water wash away his regret of letting Inej go. Everyday he thought about the night that she left and a terrible pain seared through him. He hadn't been sleeping or eating well and it showed. His eyes were bagging with dark circles underneath and his bones were starting to show. He got out of the shower and looked in the foggy mirror. His almost black eyes reflected back at him in the mirror and he wished that Inej was here with him. He needed her by his side and wanted to tell her that he chose her. He wasn't ready to give himself up completely, but still wished that Inej was here.

        Grabbing his clothes, he got ready. He pulled his black coat over the white button-up shirt he was wearing and slipped on the black loafers lying on the floor. Reaching for his crow-headed cane, he slowly climbed down the stairs. Jesper and Wylan were sitting at the bar, talking about taking a trip or something. "I've got business to attend to. I'll be back in a couple of hours" he told them, walking out the door.