Chapter 6: Kaz

Kaz walked up the stairs, his limp hurting more today, and headed to his room. Setting his cane against the wall, he took off his shoes. He carefully removed his coat, gloves and unbuttoned his blood-splattered shirt, rinsing himself with a rag and water from the basin next to his desk. Running a hand through his hair, he looked at the piles of papers on his desk. Kaz walked to his bed passing the Wraith on his window. He was about to lay down on his bed when he froze. Inej? His head jerked to the window, there she was, sitting quietly and waiting for him to speak. "Inej?" he croaked, his voice an octave too high. And then he was walking towards her, he didn't know why but he found himself wanting to hold her in his arms to make sure that she was real. She stood up, caramel skin glinting in the moonlight. Her dark hair was cascading down her back instead of in its usual coil. Kaz felt like he was dreaming, she looked like a Saint from her stories and he wanted to reach out to her. Suddenly, they were an inch apart and Kaz could feel her soft breath inbetween them. He reached out to twirl a lock of her hair around his finger, then put it behind her ear. Slowly, he leaned forward and paused, he heard her breath hitch and then he couldn't stop himself. Holding her delicate chin in his hand, he leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips. He had wanted to do that for as long as he could remember and all of his worries faded away.