Chapter 14: Inej

I twirled a strand of Nina's auburn hair and twisted it into place, sercuring it with a metal hairpin. "Okay. Anddd….Done!" I exclaimed, clapping my hands together. She got up to spin in front of the long, oval mirror that I had dragged up here. The floor-length red dress spun, revealing the golden heels that Nina wore underneath. Matthias was taking Nina on a special date and I was helping her get ready. She looked beautiful in the elegant spaghetti-strap dress with a low back. The dress was simple and in a bright red colour that mocked her hair, which cascaded in waves down her back. "It's missing something." Inej said, a thoughtful look upon her face. "Are you sure?" Nina questioned. "I'll be right back." I said, silently departing as Nina took a seat. She headed to Kaz's room, where a pile of her belongings sat. Carefully, she picked through the clothes until she found the small box. It was a gift to Inej from her mother, before she was taken. The metal jewelry box was engraved with intricate designs and details on all four sides, mimicking old Suli tales. Inej opened the box and found what she was looking for, a golden heart-shaped locket. She had bought the necklace many years ago, after a patrol for Kaz. Inej went back to her room, where Nina awaited. "Here, you go." Inej said, standing on her tip-toes to fasten the necklace around Nina's neck. "Oh, you were right. It did need something." Nina said. "It's perfect." "You look beautiful." Inej said as Nina reached forward to give her a hug. "Thank you." Nina said. "For everything." Inej nodded her head then spoke, "Now, go. Or else you will be late.".