Chapter 21: Wylan

He placed the neatly folded shirt on top of the others, piling his clothes into his bag. The old, olive green suitcase had been one of his only belongings after he ran away. Wylan mentally checked off his list; shirts, pants, shoes, underwear, toiletries. He had gotten them all and now he needed to pack his art supplies. Wylan grabbed the sketchbook, pencils, paint brushes, paints and pastels that sat on his desk. Jesper moved around him as they silently packed their suitcases in unison. Wylan carefully stored the supplies in his bag, grabbing whatever else he would need. They would be on Inej's boat for the trip, then staying at the Ravkan palace. He had to make sure that he was prepared for being overseas. Wylan left his toothbrush and toothpaste for the morning and finished packing his luggage.

        By the time he and Jesper were finished, it was noon. Wylan took his usual seat at the bar to eat his lunch. He had prepared sandwiches for Jes and himself as a quick meal. The thick and heavy leather drawing book hit the countertop with a soft thud, as he set it down. Wylan was sketching a scenery filled with tall mountains, chirping birds and cool waters. "Wow, Wylan. This is really good!" Jesper said, taking in the charcoal sketch. Wylan turned away as a warm blush spread across his freckled cheeks. He knew that he was good at drawing, but he hated people making a big fuss over him. Wylan remembered his father telling him to quit drawing, saying that it was a waste of time. He was glad that he hadn't stopped then. Art had given him an escape from his horrible life, a way to express his feelings in the form of paintings or drawings.

        The day went by in a blur, as the sun set into dusk. Wylan didn't see much of Kaz or Inej who were probably getting ready for their trip. He had talked to Nina briefly about the wedding and the palace in Ravka. She had tried to explain it to Jesper and him, since they had never been to Ravka before. Wylan wasn't very tired, but he decided to get some rest for tomorrow. They would have to wake up early to get on the ship and prepare for the wedding. He climbed the stairs with Jesper and headed to their room. Wylan decided to take a quick shower before bed to calm his nerves and pass some time. The warm water splashed down his body, soaking his russet curls. He got dressed into some warm pajamas, then quickly towel-dried his hair. Wylan climbed into bed next to Jesper and despite his protests, his eyes slowly shut.