Chapter 3: Matthias

Nina released a happy sigh as she shoved her fifth mini-cake into her mouth. "Nina, dear, don't you think that's enough" I said gently. She was sprawled on the beige chaise wearing a red robe that carried piles of crumbs on it. Her fiery red hair was hanging over the edge of the couch and her feet were in my lap. She glared at me, wide green eyes hunting her prey. She had eaten five mini-cakes, three sweet rolls, a couple of figs and a handful of toffees. Matthias watched as she savored the delicious flavours with closed eyes. They were staying at an inn in Gäfvalle on strict orders from the Ravkan king. It had been a couple of months since the fight in Ketterdam when he was shot. They had stayed in Ketterdam for a couple of weeks until he was fully healed then went to a camp stationed in Fjerda for royal Ravkan spies. They were working with some of Nina's friends in Ravka to stop Grisha enslavement. He looked around the small room that they were renting, a full-sized bed was in the middle with brown, mahogany wood nightstands on either side. A bathroom was on the opposite wall next to a tall dresser that matched the other furniture. He could feel the cool air that the ceiling fan was giving off and closed his eyes.

        "Matthias! Matthias! Matthias!" Nina shouted. "Get up, we're going to be late!" she said as she got up and dusted off the sweet crumbs. He checked the old clock on the wall as she got up to change. He must have drifted off and they were supposed to meet Zoya and Genya half and hour ago! He got up and grumbled, rubbing his tired eyes. Their mission was almost complete and they were going to sort out all the details and say goodbye to Nina's friends. They were in charge of Ravka's Second Army and he was a little scared of the dark-haired summoner. Nina came out of the bathroom as he pulled a shirt over his head, wearing a pair of jeans and a blue blouse that made her skin look soft and delicate. She had on black combat boots and her hair was pulled up into a high ponytail. She looked beautiful. Nina caught him staring and came over to him. She looked up at him and pulled his neck down, then kissed him deeply. She pulled away and told him to shut his mouth before a fly flew in.

        After they finished their conversation with the two Grisha soldiers Nina gave Genya a tight hug. She released her and went to hug Zoya, who was reluctant at first but gave in to the hug. He said his goodbyes and was shocked when Genya came over and hugged him, her amber eye tearing up. Nina too was on the verge of crying, but held her tears in and gave a final goodbye. Their work in Fjerda was done for now and they walked back to the inn. "What now?" Nina asked. "We could go back to Ravka." he said, unsure. "What if we go back to Ketterdam?" she said. I knew Nina was torn between Ravka as her home and her friends in Ketterdam. Ketterdam wasn't that bad and he knew that it would make her happy so he agreed. A huge smile spread across her face and she reached up to give him a quick peck on the cheek. They quickly packed their bags and went to book voyage as soon as possible. Nina was the love of his life and he had taken an oath to protect her until death and if she was happy, then he was happy.

A/N: Hey! Sorry I don't know what happened with the point of views in this chapter and the title that has now been changed. Please excuse this error and whatever future mistakes. -Bianca