Story Behind the Call to Prayers(Adhan)

After Hijra, the Prophet(PBUH) and the Muslims built the first mosque- Masjid Al-Nabi, Muslims used to come and wait for the time of salah (prayer) to be announced by the Prophet (peace be upon him) so that they could all go and pray.

In Makkah, the number of Muslims was small, so they could make Jama'ah without any call. But by the second year of Hijrah, the number of Muslims had increased. Since there was no adhan given, it was quite difficult for the Muslims to know when to stop what they were doing, and go to the masjid and pray.

Some Muslims who lived far away from the masjid al-Nabi, like farmers working in the fields, found it even more harder, because they would have to travel quite far to be able to find out when it was going to be prayer time.

The Blessed Prophet asked the Muslims about a way to call everyone to salah five times a day. Some suggested like using a bell as Christians do, using a rams horn following an ancient Jewish practice, light a fire, raise up a flag each time at the time of salah, so that when people see it, they can tell each other and come to salah but the Prophet disagree with them.

The next morning, While the blessed Prophet was sitting in the masjid with his Companions (May Allah have Mercy on them), a companion by the name of Abdullah ibn Zaid (May Allah have Mercy on them) walked in looking happy.

"You look so happy this morning Abdullah ibn Zaid," said one Companion to him, "let us share your happiness."

"Last night I saw a dream," replied Abdullah ibn Zaid, "A beautiful dream. In all my life, I have never seen a more beautiful dream than that."

"I saw in my dream, a man dressed with green clothes, carrying a bell," said Abdullah ibn Zaid. "I asked him, 'Will you sell me your bell?'. The man asked me what I needed a bell for, and I told him that we needed a bell to call people for salah.

'You don't need a bell. Let me teach you something better than a bell,' he replied

I said; 'Please do, May Allah bless you!'

He said, 'You say loudly:Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar

Ash-hadu allaa illaha ilAllah

Ash-hadu anna Muhammadar Rasul-Allah

Hayya 'alas salaah, hayya 'alas salaah

Hayya 'alal falaah, hayya 'alal falaah

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar

La illaha il-Allah

The Prophet (pbuh) and the Muslims were very happy with Abdullah ibn Zaid's dream. It was indeed a beautiful dream.

Then the Prophet (Peace be upon him) called Bilal ibn Rabah (May Allah have Mercy on him), a freed Abyssinian slave, because he had a loud and beautiful voice, and taught him the beautiful and meaningful words of the Adhan.

When Bilal ibn Rabah (May Allah have Mercy on him) had learnt the words, the Blessed Prophet asked him to climb a high wall next to the masjid, and call people for Salah.

So Bilal did what the Prophet (Peace be upon him) told him to do.

The voice of Bilal (May Allah have Mercy on him) resounded throughout Madinah. People came running to Masjid un-Nabi. Umar (May Allah have Mercy on him) was one of the persons who cam and said, "O Messenger of Allah, an angel taught me the same words in my dream last night."

From that day forward, Bilal (May Allah have Mercy on him) became the first Mu'adhhin of Islam, all the Muslims around the world call the Adhan five times a day, just like Bilal did, all those years ago.

Did you know?

-The Prophet(pbuh) had 2 muadhins to Masjid haram; Bilal Ibn Rabbah and Abdullah Ibn Maktoum who was a blind man( May Allah have mercy on them)

-The Jumaa prayer had one adhan, during the time of Othman Ibn Affan (May Allah have mercy on him) introduced the second adhan to call the people from outside to the call of prayer.

-In Fajr, Bilal added the call of" assalatu kheir mina naum"-prayer is better than sleep, which the Prophet agreed to it.

-The Muadhin get full reward of everyone who comes to the Masjid for all the salah!!! Subhanallah.

-Those who will have the longest neck on the day of judgement will be Imams.

-The Prophet(pbuh) said:" If the people knew what reward is in the call of adhan and the first row, and they found no other way to get that except drawing lots, then they would draw so, , and if they knew the reward of offering the Zuhr prayer early (in its stated time), they would race for it and if they knew the reward for 'Isha' and Fajr prayers in " {Jamii tirmidi 225}