Two Women and the Wolf

This story was narrated by Abu Hurairah on account of the Prophet( P.B.U.H):

Two women who went out with their two sons. A wolf came and took one of the child. The older woman said to the other," The wolf has taken your son." The younger woman said," No. It has taken your son." So both of them took the dispute to Prophet Daud( A.S) who judged that the boy should be given to the elder woman. Because perhaps the older woman was barren as for the younger woman, perhaps she can give birth to other children in the future.

They then left from him and went to Nabi Suleiman and informed him of what has taken place. So he called for a knife and said, " I will cut him into two halves." The older woman welcomed the idea but the younger woman rejected it and said," He is her son." She felt the compassion because it was her son.

In reality, the boy belonged to the younger woman, not the older woman. Because it was not her son thus not concerned if he died, as her son died by being eaten by the wolf. But the younger woman was overcome with mercy so Suleiman judged in favor of the younger woman.

Scholars have concluded from this hadith that it is permissible for a judge to rule according to presumption if it is strong. This is a great principle for the judge and for the one who rules between the people.

Did you know?

Nabi Suleiman was the son of Daud(A.S).

Thanks for reading. Jazakum Allahu kheir.