Jurayj; the pious worshipper

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the messenger of Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

Jurayj took a secluded hermitage for worship and confined himself in it. His mother came to him as he was busy in prayer, and she called, 'O Jurayj!'

He said, 'O My Lord, my mother (is calling me) and (I am offering) my prayer (what shall I do)?.' He continued with the prayer.

She returned and came the following day and he was busy in prayer. She called, 'O Jurayj, its your mother.' He said, 'My Lord, my mother (is calling me) and (I am offering) my prayer (what shall I do)?', and he continued with the prayer, and she returned.

Then the next day she came again while he was busy in prayer, and called, 'O Jurayj!' He said, 'My Lord, my mother (is calling me) and (I am offering) my prayer (what shall I do)?' and he continued with the prayer. She said, 'O Allaah! Do not let him die until he sees the faces of prostitutes.'

The story of Jurayj and that of his meditation and prayer spread among the children of Israel. There was a prostitute who was beauty personified. She said (to the people), "If you like, I can lure him into evil." She presented herself to him but he paid no heed.

She came to a shepherd who lived near the hermitage and she offered herself to him. He (the shepherd) had sexual intercourse with her and she became pregnant.

When she gave birth to a baby she said, 'This baby is from Jurayj.'

So they came and asked Jurayj to leave and they demolished the hermitage and began to beat him. He asked them what was the matter. They said, 'You committed fornication with this prostitute and she gave birth to a baby from you.'

He said, 'Where is the baby?' They brought him (the baby) and then he said, 'Just leave me so that I should perform prayer.' He performed prayer and when he finished, he struck the babys stomach with his finger, and asked him, 'O boy, who is your father?'

The baby answered, 'He is the shepherd. So, the people turned towards Jurayj, kissed him and touched him (seeking blessings), and said, 'We are ready to construct your hermitage with gold.' He said, 'No, just rebuild it with mud as it was,' and so they did.

reported in Saheeh Al-Bukhaari No. (3436) and Saheeh Muslim No. (2550).

This story shows the position of a mother in Islam, We should give them utmost attention and respect.

It is mentioned in the sunnah that the Prophet (May Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) used to shorten his prayer if he heard a child crying nearby. Now how about when someone who we're commanded to love the most calls us?

Shukran. Jazakum Allahu kheir.