Chapter 29

"You know about the rowan tree?" Vincent asked Malia, surprised.

"What's that?" She asked in return.

"It’s another name for mountain ash. It's not widely used in New Orleans nor do most know about it but... This is the only room in the entire base protected by mountain ash." The witch replied before he realized that important detail. "It's either Lucien cares about his human employees or..."

"Or he doesn't want supernaturals to enter the room." The Alphette completed.

"Or he doesn't want something to get out," Jordan added.

"You mean someone." Malia corrected. "But if that's the case then why would there be people hiding in there right now?"

It was a good question that would be left unanswered until they gain access to the lab.

"There's only one way to find out," Vincent said, before Jordan stepped in front of the locked and possibly mountain ash lab door, to the witch's curiosity.

He didn't know that the Parrish was a hellhound since Jordan has been using a modified pistol with wooden bullets, courtesy of Chris Argent, nor did Vincent know about hellhound, until now.

Malia and Vincent gave the hellhound some room though the witch just followed the former's example and a moment later Jordan's eyes glowed their hellhound fiery colour before he released a controlled wave of heat energy, focused on the door card reader and the threshold.

Seconds, that's all it took for the pyromancer to burn through the mountain ash, melt the card reader and grant them access to the lab. Griffith once thought witches were pyromancers but after seeing Jordan at work... Whatever the man was, was a true pyromancer.

The hellhound led the way in, his gun at the ready, ordering the occupants of the lab to stay where they were and put their hands where he could see them.

"You can't be in here!" Scientist1 said. "Do you know who...?"

"Oh, shut up before I tell him to shot you." Malia interrupted her, entering the lab with Vincent. "Actually, why don't you tell me why you are in here? What's so special about this room?"

They all declined to answer although they were visibly shaken by the turn of events.

They didn't have to answer, however, because while Jordan had them at gunpoint and Malia asked the question they wanted answers to Vincent looked around the lab and saw a body with a dagger in its chest on an examination table.

It wasn't just a body, though, it was a vampire's body and it was desiccated with a dagger buried in its chest.

"Hey, get away from there!" Doctor1 shouted at Griffith upon seeing him approach the examination table and quickly extended his arm in Vincent's direction before telekinetically throwing him away from there and against a wall. "Ow!"

The doctor received a wooden bullet to the shoulder of that arm in return, courtesy of Jordan who followed that up by quickly advancing on the man, who was a witch and knocked him out then gave his attention to the other witches he sensed among the doctors and scientists.

"If anyone of you does that again I'll be forced to use lethal force." The hellhound warned them while Vincent slowly picked himself up, groaning.

"What does it matter? The moment that you remove that dagger we will all be dead." Scientist2, an elderly male witch, said.

"Really?" Malia asked, her disbelief clear by her frown.

"There's a reason  Castle..." Scientist2 began to respond but was cut off...