Chapter 56

Forbes House

"I don't think so, Sheriff Forbes," Scott responded. "I already have plans."

"You seem to have plans quite often."

"Leaders often do."

Elizabeth couldn't argue with that, but she could wonder why Beacon Hills Sheriff would refuse to share any information concerning Scott McCall.

"As long as they have nothing to do with illegal activities in my town," She replied.

"Illegal activities like kidnapping two high school students and trying to murder them and how many others? Five?" Lydia retorted.

"Seven, including Kol, who I had under control," Scott provided the numbers.

"Wow! Seven! Seven other people in the Mayor's office with the town Sheriff present?"

Elizabeth didn't have a response to that.

"Good night, Sheriff," Scott said after an awkward silence.

"I am sorry you were almost killed," Elizabeth addressed Lydia.

"Even though I'm not human?" Lydia questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Even though you're not human," Elizabeth nodded. "Vampires were supposed to be soulless creatures, but Caroline proved me otherwise. So whatever you are, I'm sure that you have a soul and a mother who cares about you, and she almost lost you and I apologize for that. Have a good night and stay out of trouble."

That said, Elizabeth closed the door and retreated to her house where Caroline was eavesdropping and proud of her mother.

While Lydia moved to the shotgun seat, leaving the bag with food behind, her phone rang.

Once she settled down and put on her seat belt, Scott put the car in gear, and they hit the road while Lydia answered the call.

"Hey, mom," She greeted finding the timing of her call a welcome coincidence.

"Hello, honey," Natalie returned the greeting. "How are you? How are things going?"

"I'm OK and things are going well. What about you?"

"I'm fine. But we need to talk."

"About?"

"About Carol," Natalie said after a pause. "Have you met her yet?"

A surprised Lydia shared a look with Scott.

"Wh-Why would...?" She asked.

"I know that you're in Mystic Falls and that you went there to get the answers I haven't been giving you, Lydia. Have you spoken with Carol yet?"

"N-No. Um..."

"Great," Natalie replied audibly relieved to Lydia's confusion. "Can we talk?"

"Um, sure," Lydia responded.

"You wanted to know who Carol is, well, she's my older twin sister and your aunt. I hurt her deeply years ago, and she left months before you were born," Natalie revealed with a shaky voice. "Before I tell you what I did, I need you to know that I love you, and I'll always love you, OK?"

"I know, mom," Lydia assured anxiously.

"Never doubt my love for you, Lydia," Natalie pressed on like Lydia didn't say anything. "I love you so, so much!"

"Mom, I know," Lydia said.

"I don't think I tell you enough."

"Mom..."