Chapter XIX

The Fellowship ran out of the tomb area as the sound of many goblins followed closely behind. Gwen glanced over her shoulder to see thousands of the foul creatures chasing them. Her eyes widened as she saw them climbing out of cracks in the floor, out of the ceiling, even climbing down the great columns.   

"Boromir!" She shouted painfully. They were forced to a stop as the hoards of goblins encircled the group. Boromir came to her side, his sword in one hand, his other wrapped around Gwen clutching his shield.

"What do we do?" She asked, feeling a surge of fear mixing with the burning pain in her side. The pain from her injury in Balin's tomb was intensifying with each passing moment. She gritted her teeth to distract her from the pain as she leaned against Boromir, trying to catch her breath. The goblins were getting closer, their numbers continuing to multiple at outstanding rates. It would not be much longer until they were overcome.

Suddenly, just as the goblins were about to pounce on the ten companions, a great roar was heard from an archway, which glowed a terrifying red. The goblins stopped in their tracks, looking around. The roar sounded again, and this time the creatures screeched in terror, scattering and running for their lives. A low roar was heard, not as loud as the first two times, and the glowing red seemed to draw nearer and nearer.

"What is this new devilment?" Boromir demanded incredulously.

Mithrandir closed his eyes and said nothing, as if he was dreading telling what the others what lay in their path

"A Balrog," he finally spoke. "A demon of the ancient world." He looked at each person before saying forcefully, "This foe is beyond any of you. Run!"

They ran as fast as their legs could carry them, leaving the cavern of columns. Boromir left Gwen's side and raced ahead, looking to find a way out for his companions. He ran down some steps, but suddenly screeched to a halt as he had just found out those steps suddenly dropped into an endless chasm. As he teetered on the edge trying not to fall, Gwen screamed from the top of the stairs at Legolas to catch him.

"Hurry, or he falls!" She exclaimed in the Elvish tongue.

Legolas nimbly ran down the stairs behind him and pulled him back away from the edge just as the pebbles and stones gave way beneath Boromir, falling down into the bottomless pit.

"We can go this way!" Legolas called up as he pointed to the right of the stairs where there was a rocky path. 

Breathing a sigh of relief, Gwen turned to face the Halflings. "Go!" She commanded, pointing her finger down the flight of stairs. "Follow Legolas and Boromir!" One by one, Gwen pushed the Halflings in front of her, forcing them to go before her and get as far away as possible from this new, strange danger. Finally, it was only Gwen and Mithrandir at the top. She looked at the Wizard, panting in pain as she waited for him to take his turn down the steps. Mithrandir, silent and stern, grabbed her arm and helped her descend the stairs

"Make haste," he said. "You will not be left behind."

Nodding, Gwen used the support of the Wizard next to her to assist in running down the stairs. The roar of the mystery beast only grew louder, however, causing the two of them to pause and glance behind their shoulders.

"Gandalf! Gwen!" Aragorn called up in concern, running back up the steps. 

Mithrandir shook his head. "Help her," he said, giving a visibly hurt Gwen to Aragorn. "Lead them on Aragorn. The Bridge is near!"

Another roar was heard behind them as the red fiery glow drew closer.   

"Do as I say!" Mithrandir said as Aragorn hesitated to leave him defenseless, pushing them away and walking ahead of them. "Swords are of no more use here."