Chapter V

~5 Years Later~

"Aiya. Essenya Gwennan Alassë. Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo," Gwen said monotonously. "Hello. My name is Gwennan Alassë. A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

"Very good," the old man nodded. "Again."

"I do not see why this is necessary, Mithrandir," Gwen groaned impatiently. "I have been studying Quenya for these past five years now. I know the language quite well."

"It is always good to refresh your memory, my child." The grey clad wizard, Mithrandir, pointed out. "One may never know when they will have to use it. If unexpected, you might stumble and forget."

Gwen looked at Mithrandir in defeat, knowing she would not win this battle. "Still, it is a waste of time to just sit in here all day," she muttered, closing her book on the ancient Elvish language. She got up and walked to the window of her bedroom, glancing wistfully toward the House of Healing. Many women were gathered outside, planting, mixing, and harvesting the springtime herbs and medicines. They were chatting amongst themselves. They were laughing.

Above all they were happy.

"How I wish to be a part of them." She said quietly, finding herself once again hoping beyond hope to one day be a part of them.

"You are frustrated child," Mithrandir observed. "What troubles you?"

"You have always known of my desires to be a healer, dear Mithrandir," Gwen said, turning to the wizard with a sad smile. "My desire is still as strong as ever to be amongst them."

"You are a very skilled healer, I hear," Mithrandir smiled.

"When I am allowed to offer my services to the House, I do all I am capable of," Gwen said humbly. "Unfortunately, lord Denethor refuses my wish to be there permanently. 'You are to know Elvish, to be a translator for Gondor. That is where you are needed. Do not question my judgment.'" She sighed. "I have not even been taken on one diplomatic mission in these five years. The Lord Denethor does not trust me to preform well." She sighed in frustration. "No, I would be far better a use as a Healer." 

"Perhaps one day you will be one of them," Mithrandir said. "But remember, you do not decide the future. That is already taken care of. Your job is to wait. You will see in due time your true destiny," he said wisely. 

"I do hope your words are true," Gwen said with a small smirk.

"That will be answered-" started Mithrandir.

"In the future," Gwen finished with a smile.

Mithrandir let out a hearty laugh, patting Gwen on the arm. "You bring warmth to an old wizard's heart, I will say that."

"I am glad, Mithrandir," Gwen smiled at her dear friend. "Now, if you will excuse me, I must return to my duties. This Elvish transcript will not translate itself."

"No," Mithrandir laughed again. "No, I'm afraid it will not." He sighed, standing up. "Heed my advice, young one. Relish not on the past, nor on the future, but enjoy today. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present. Remember this and you will succeed."

Gwen smiled and bowed her head. "I will remember your words Mithrandir. I thank you for your counsel."

"You are welcome, child. Farewell!"

And just like that, he departed. Gwen didn't know when she would see him again. It would hopefully not be too long.

~~~

Gwen sat in the chair outside on her balcony several hours later, still copying the Elvish words to the Common Tongue onto a piece of paper.