Chapter XXIV

The three companions had come to a halt in their march for the night, collapsing together on the cold ground for a much needed period of rest. Well, the Halflings did at least. Gwen had offered to take the first couple hours' watch, partially because both Sam and Frodo were physically and emotionally worn out from the past few days' journey. But mainly, it was because she knew that that creature was out there, watching them with its beady little eyes from its terrifically terrible hiding spot. It was so close that Gwen could hear it, but so deeply hidden that she could make out no more.

Upright, alert and sitting against a large sheet of rock, she scanned the dark night before them, her Ranger senses responsible for pumping the adrenaline she felt flowing through her veins, keeping her heavy eyelids open however much they protested.

Suddenly, a quiet, rattling breathing caught her attention. Looking up, she placed a hand on the hilt of her sword, glancing at the blade quickly to ensure it was not glowing blue. Though she could not see, she knew he was back, and from the sound of it, directly above them. Slowly she inched her way sideways against the rock, stepping lightly towards the Halfings. Silently, she touched each on the shoulder, motioning them to stay silent with her finger before pointing up. 

"Stay low," she directed. "Wait for me." She made her way over to where her knife belt was - her sword at her side was too loud and big to draw right now- just as a small figure climbing down from above them.

Concealed among the rock by the magic of her Elven cloak, she heard its high pitched, raspy voice as she slowly and as quietly as possible picked up her knives.

"You thieves!" It hissed. "You thieves... You filthy little thieves! Where is it? Where is it? They stole it from us. My Precious." 

"Wait," she mouthed to Frodo, who was laying on his side and watching Gwen for her next command. 

"Curse them!" She froze, the belt in midair, as the voice was heard again. It was closer. "We hates them! It's ours, it is... and we wants it!"

The creature slowly lowered itself from the cliff, his spindly body coming into view as he stretched out his bony hand, reaching it out towards the Halflings.  

"Rah!" Frodo yelled as he and Sam turned around, jumping up and grabbing Gollum's arms and pulling him down.

"Not yet!" Gwen cried, hastily buckling her belt around her waist and grabbing Frodo's sword, watching from the corner of her eye as Sam and Frodo struggled to maintain the vile creature. She drew two knives and rushed forward, just as the creature attacked Sam, biting him on the shoulder, and clasping his limbs around the Halfing's neck. 

"Oh no you don't!" Gwen hissed, dropping to her knees and wrapping her arm around the creature's neck, her knife pressing against its thin, gray skin. "Frodo!" She yelled, throwing his sword up in the air. Frodo caught it and pointed it at the creature's neck.

It stopped struggling briefly, looking up at the sword. Sam was still in its grip.

"This is Sting," Frodo said viciously. "You've seen it before, haven't you — Gollum!"

Gollum's breathing caught and rattled. "Yes."

"Then you will do well to release our friend," Gwen demanded, pressing her knife closer to his throat, drawing the smallest drop of blood which provoked a blood curdling scream from Gollum. "Release him, or I'll cut your throat." 

Gollum slowly loosened his grip on Sam and let out a loud wail, the strength of that yell echoing through the rocks.

~~~

It was light again, quite early in the morning. Gollum was tied at the neck with Sam's rope and was dragged along behind the three.