Chapter XXXI

A  crashing boom jolted Gwen from her thoughts, throwing her back slightly into the overhanging. Faramir steadied her with his arm, pulling her back against the broad of his chest. She allowed herself a breath, a moment of comfort as she leaned against the protection of which he provided.

Her eyes opened just as quickly as they shut. "Faramir," she turned. "Where are Frodo and Sam?"

~~~

Gwen ran through the streets of the smoking city, dodging stray arrows that flew over the river from the Orcs' bows.

"Frodo!" Gwen called out desperately, ducking behind a piece of a fallen pillar as the Orcs began to catapult pieces of the broken city over the river. "Frodo, where are you?" She screamed over the shouts of the Rangers and soldiers. 

Mentally she cursed herself. How could she have been so stupid, letting the Halflings out of her sight. Who knew where they were?

"Gwen!" A voice called through the noise and confusion of the siege. 

Gwen turned, laying eyes upon Faramir's second in command, the Ranger called Madril.

"Where are Frodo and Sam?" She demanded angrily. "You were with them when they were taken away. Where are they?"

"Safe, my lady," Madril said shortly. "For now." He looked around, his bow gripped tightly in his hand. "Where is the captain?"

Gwen looked behind her, pointing to wear to the tall, fair haired Ranger who trailed her shadow. "There."

"Faramir!" Madril called as Faramir turned and ran over. 

"What news, Madril?" Asked Faramir, holding his own bow.

"Orcs have taken the eastern shore. Their numbers are too great. By nightfall we'll be overrun."

"Mistress Gwen!"

Gwen whipped her head around, her eyes widening in relief upon seeing the two Halflings and Gollum hobbling toward the trio.

"Frodo!" She cried, running over to them, witnessing as Frodo stumbled, struggling to regain his balance. She knelt down to his level, gripping his shoulders, steadying him. "Easy now," she instructed.

"It's calling to him, Gwen," Frodo said, his voice uneasy. "His eye is almost on me."

"Hold on, Mister Frodo," Sam comforted Frodo, who seemed to be going in and out of a daze. "It'll be alright, just hold on."

"Faramir!" Gwen yelled over her shoulder, keeping one hand on Frodo's arm. "Faramir, they are not safe here! Please, let us return to our path, let Frodo destroy the Ring and end all of this!"

Faramir nodded slowly. "You're right, it is not safe here," he said slowly. "Take them to my father," he said, turning to Madril. "Tell him, Faramir sends a mighty gift. A weapon that will change our fortunes in this war."

"What?!" Gwen shouted, her emotions being overrun with shock.

Faramir said nothing, instead he simply turned around, ready to leave.

Suddenly, with much courage, Sam pushed himself forward, calling out to Faramir. "You wanna know what happened to Boromir? You wanna know why your brother died?"

Faramir stopped walking and turned around, looking down angrily at the young Halfling.

Sam glowered right back at him. "He tried to take the Ring from Frodo. After swearing an oath to protect him. He tried to kill him! The Ring drove your brother mad!"

"Look out!" A soldier yelled in the distance. Instinctively, Gwen grabbed Frodo and Sam, pulling them to her and covering them with her cloak, watching as a tower was struck with a boulder, crumbled, and collapsed. She let go of the Halflings, wincing visibly as anguished cries could be heard from where the tower fell.