Chapter XVII

The Fellowship walked through a misty, rocky valley, towards the Mines of Moria.

"Frodo," Mithrandir beckoned to the Halfling. "Come and help an old man." He put his arm around Frodo and continued walking. "How's your shoulder?" Was the last thing the rest of the Fellowship heard as the two walked away from them.

Gwen watched as Frodo looked up at Gandalf, confused. She saw him reach up and rub his shoulder.

Impulsively, so did she. She grimaced slightly at the familiar, unwelcome dull pain that spread throughout her arm. It had been nearly half a year since she had obtained her battle injury, yet it still pained her. It was a token of memory from her past life, her life as a Ranger.

She knew in her heart that she might not return to her Dol Amroth Ranger brothers. She knew she might not even be a Ranger again. This quest was her fate. She was chosen as a companion and protection for the Ringbearer. She had to set aside the Ranger in her and commit herself to Frodo. He would need her support and strength in the end, even if it meant sacrificing herself.
Which meant she would give up everything; Dol Amroth, Minas Tirith, her brothers, her friends, her mother.

Even Faramir she had to give up. She would never be able to see her love again. She would never get to say goodbye, to kiss him, to say 'I love you' one last time.

But, if it did come down to it, not for one second would she hesitate. 

She would do her duty.

"Are you alright?" Sam's voice roused her from her thoughts. "You've been rubbing that arm for a while now. Are you sick?"

"No, Sam, I am not, I was just thinking," Gwen said to the Halfling as he, Merry, and Pippin fell in step beside her.

"What do you suppose it is they are conversing about?" Pippin whispered to Gwen, pointing at Mithrandir and Frodo.

"I wouldn't know, Pip," Gwen said , smiling at the curious Halfling.

Of course she knew of what they were speaking of.

They were speaking of the Ring. Its power was obviously starting to take an effect on the Ringbearer, you could see it in Frodo's face that he hadn't slept in days.

Not that she would tell Pippin any of this. She didn't want him to worry too much for Frodo.
That, and he had a rather large mouth.

Mithrandir suddenly stopped, causing the others to nearly walk into him. "Ah!" He pointed. "The walls of Moria!"

In front of them was a great sheer flat cliff face. Gwen stared at it, her brow furrowed. She turned to Gimli for an explanation.

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed," the Dwarf explained, tapping the wall with his axe.

"Yes Gimli!" Mithrandir agreed. "Their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten!"

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legions muttered. Gwen looked at him in amusement, stifling a laugh.

"Ach!" Gimli exclaimed.

Before Legolas could respond, Frodo stumbled and his foot slipped into the edge of a lake. He looked around, worried that he might have aroused a great beast. Gwen, too, glanced out at the water, her instincts telling her no good could come from within in.

When they were certain no foul creature would arise from the murky waters and attack them, the Fellowship continued walking on.   

Every once in a while, Mithrandir stopped and rubbed his hand over a smooth part of the wall.