Chapter I

~20 years later~ 

The sun beat down hard on that June afternoon. It was that kind of heat that not even the trees could offer protection. No sane person would find themselves out in it.

Except, Gwen wasn't what normal people would call "sane." She had a wild spirit, as free as an eagle. Her blue eyes never lost their mischievous gleam, and her temper was as fiery as her ginger hair.

Her mother had always said Gwen was as spirited as a young Elfling; she wouldn't be surprised if she had Elven blood in her.

"If that were true," she would answer, "I would wish to be an elf of Lothlorien. They are so beautiful and full of grace."

"A fine lesson that would be for you, my dear," her adoptive mother would laugh.

Gwen would laugh as well, toss her ginger curls, and run outside to the forest surrounding their cottage.

That was where she was that day, sitting in peaceful solitude as the day wore on, the heat never wavering. At her side lay her basket of herbs. Faerwyn had sent her to retrieve specific healing herbs, yet the task lay unfinished as Gwen's mind wandered yet again to the parallel universe that was her imagination. Idly, she twirled a piece of lemongrass and the leaf of a mint vine together as she envisioned her most wanted desire:

More than anything, Gwen wished to be a healer. A healer in a town, where there were actual people, not just the animals as her only patients. 

"One day," she mused, talking to a small bird that landed on a branch in front of her. "One day, I will achieve my dream, and I will no longer be destined for this boring life of solitude that she wishes upon me."

Faerwyn had taught Gwen everything she knew about plants, herbs, and how to use them in healing. Yet, for some reason, never let Gwen use her technique on a human being. She never let her associate with humans, for that matter. Faerwyn believed a life of solitude was best for the soul, she would always tell Gwen.

"I feel like a caged animal, just waiting to pounce at the first opportunity to escape," she had once responded hotheadedly to Faerwyn's explanations.

She traced her finger along the edge of the mint leaf. "One day I will be fortunate enough to get away from this place, to see the world," she murmured.

"You still haven't spoken to her, have you?" Gwen's head snapped up at the familiar voice.
"Meredor, you startled me," she scolded, smiling cheerfully at the young man on horseback.
Meredor. A squire of Gondor. The only one brave enough to venture out to their location to deliver goods. Her only friend.

"You'll never get out of here if you don't speak to her," Meredor pointed out as he held out a hand to Gwen.

She took his hand and swung up onto his horse. "I am waiting until the time is right. You know how she has responded when I have asked her to allow me before."

"Make it right soon, and I will be able to escort you."

"Meredor, would you really?" Gwen asked excitedly.

"As long as it no farther than Minas Tirith," Meredor laughed nervously. "It's too unpredictable."

"Meredor, you worry far too much!" Gwen exclaimed, laughing.

~~~

Faerwyn glanced out the window of her cottage at the sound of Gwen's mirthful laughter. She sighed, shaking her head as the two emerged from the forest. That boy she greatly disapproved of. He was a squire of Gondor, most likely stationed in Minas Tirith. Forever was she worried he would loose his tongue, speaking of them to the other knights. Many of them would most definitely still remember Faerwyn and she was afraid they would report to the Steward of Gondor of her whereabouts.

She would not let that man get in the way of her vow she had made to his wife.

She sighed again, running a hand through her loose strands of hair. Maybe the day had come. Maybe her adopted daughter's begging had some sense to it. Maybe it was time to reintroduce Gwen to the rest of the world.  

"Mother, I am back!" Gwen's cheerful voice sounded as she swung open the cottage door. "Meredor is here as well."

"Yes, yes, let him in," Faerwyn said rather impatiently.

"Your goods, madam," Meredor said bowing as he handed her a large package. "Wool for the winter months, leather for shoes, royal blue silk for a lovely gown, and a pretty strand of pearls for the lady Gwen."

Gwen smiled, blushing, as she took the pearls.

"Yes, perhaps you could use those. Maybe in the near future," Faerwyn muttered.

"What do you mean, Mother?" Gwen asked as she fingered the soft fabric. "And what is this material for?"

"It's high time I told you, I suppose," Faerwyn said, rubbing her forehead. "Meredor, will you give us a moment alone?"

~~~

"I'm to be a what?" Gwen shouted in shock. "I-I-I don't want to be a lady of the court! I can't be a lady. I'm not cut out for it!"

"What do you think all the skills I have taught you over the years have been for?" Faerwyn questioned. "The sewing, the weaving, the poetry. The singing! Those are not skills that are of any use out in the middle of nowhere."

"A place that you have decided to keep me here for so long!" Gwen pointed out. 
"Mother, being a lady is not what I want to do with my life. I-I want to be a healer. Please! I have wanted to go to town for so long to become one, and you have never let me. Now, out of nowhere, you say I must go because of some- some promise you made to a woman who has been dead for twenty years?"

"You will remember not to speak of my lady like that," Faerwyn said sharply. "Being a healer is not a realistic future for you, Gwen, and you must learn to accept that."

"I cannot believe what I am hearing. How can you have kept this from me?"

"You know the story of how you came to be under my care."

"Yes, except you left out the simplest of details!" Gwen exclaimed, slamming her hand on the table for emphasis. "I will not be a court lady. I cannot."

"Gwen, my dear, I know that I was wrong to keep this from you for so terribly wrong. Your safety to me was far more important; even 20 years ago the Steward was unpredictable in his actions. Every day I have feared that he would find us and hurt you. His wife loved you for the short amount of time that she knew you, and she wanted nothing but the best for you. So I ask you, please honor her last wish."

Gwen sighed, now realizing her dream would surely never come true. "As you wish. I will not refuse you."