Chapter XIV

"Strangers of distant lands, friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor." Lord Elrond sat in his chair, facing the council, which consisted of Men, Elves, and Drawfs, seated before him. "Middle Earth stands on the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall." He looked around. "Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom."

Gwen couldn't help but shudder slightly at Elrond's speech. It was the reality of their world. So real, so dark.

Elrond stood up, motioning towards the young Hobbit, Frodo. "Bring forth the ring, Frodo."

Frodo nodded slightly, before standing up and walking deliberately to the center of the pavilion, placing a small gold ring in the middle of a pedestal.

Murmers went through the Council as they laid eyes on the Ring.

"So it is true," Boromir muttered, placing a hand over his mouth.

Gwen watched what played out before her. Frodo quickly sat down, closing his eyes and breathing shakily. Legolas stared suspiciously at the Ring, deep in thought.

Boromir looked around, standing up. The silent man who sat beside Boromir looked at him carefully. Boromir ignored him, his gaze set up on the Ring. "In a dream, I saw the Eastern sky grow dark." He started approaching the pedestal holding the Ring. "In the West a pale light lingered. A voice was crying, your doom is near at hand. Isildur's bane is found." Elrond looked at Mithrandir with concern. He stood up as Boromir reached out to touch the Ring.

As did Gwen.

"Boromir!" They shouted in unison.

Boromir jumped back in surprise, glaring sheepishly at Gwen. Before he could speak again, however, the sky suddenly grew a menacingly dark color, the clouds blocking out the noon day sun.

A voice seemed to come from inside the Ring, whispering something in a foreign tongue.

Mithrandir stood up, staff in hand, uttering the words: "Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

Immediately the sky cleared. Gwen looked around. Legolas had his eyes tightly closed, as if trying to block out the Voice. Elrond had his hand pressed against his temple, as if in pain.

"Never before have those words been uttered here in Imladris!" He exclaimed, turning to Gandalf.

"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the world," Mithrandir declared, taking his seat once again. "The Ring is all together evil."

Boromir shook his head. "Aye it is a gift!" He stood up yet again. "A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring?" He proceed to walk around, addressing the Council. Gwen sighed, steadily growing embarrased of Boromir's antics. "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor kept the forces of Mordor at bay."

Gwen rolled her eyes. Since when had Boromir been so fond of his father?

"By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy, let us use it against him!" He declared

Finally, the silent man spoke. "You cannot wield it. None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master."

Boromir turned to face him, asking scathingly, "What would a Ranger know of this matter?"

Suddenly, Legolas stood up, addressing Boromir angrily. "This is no mere Ranger! This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance."

Boromir, shocked, looked between Legolas and the silent Ranger.