Prologue

It was raining that night. Not a cold, miserable, penetrating rain, but a smooth, silent, summer shower. A rain that would lull a child to sleep, or relax a weary mind. A quiet rain. A comforting rain

It was on that night that they found her. She was wrapped tightly in a blanket and lay in a basket. A thin cloth was sheltering her pale skin from the drops.

The lady of the castle called for someone to go open the door, for someone was out there. She saw the bobbing light of a lantern.

The maid returned to the lady's room, carrying the basket. She looked very shocked.

"What is it, Faerwyn?" The lady asked the older woman.

"'Tis a baby, my lady," the maid stammered. "Someone left a baby outside the door."

The lady looked at her in surprise. "Let me see," she said, motioning the maid over to her bedside. "The stars have blessed us tonight, Faerwyn!" The lady exclaimed weakly as she picked up the small child.

"A note, too," said Faerwyn, un-pinning a note from the worn blanket.

The lady took the note in her feeble hands and read it slowly.

"'Born today. A girl. Mother is dead. Father is unknown. Please ensure her safety.' The poor thing... Faerwyn, fetch my husband, please," the lady said as she slowly rocked the sleeping child. "What a beauty."

~~~

The lord came in, staring skeptically at the baby. "Where did you find that, Finduilas?" He asked coldly.

"She was found outside of the castle door. Poor darling is abandoned," Finduilas said as she continued rocking the baby.

"She is none of our concern," the lord said cruelly. "You'll worsen your condition by taking care of her. Send her to an orphanage. Let her be their burden."

Finduilas looked lovingly at the baby. "She does not belong in an orphanage, my love. I see the nobility in her. She is destined to be a lady of the court. To grow into a beautiful young woman, to be a prince's bride. We will give her that chance."

The lord stepped in. "I do not want you to take this burden upon yourself. Please, give the baby to another woman to raise."

Finduilas looked sadly at her husband before nodding. "Alright, I promise you, my love. I will have Faerwyn bring her up as her own, train her to be a lady. Does this please you, Denethor?"

Before Denethor could respond, a small knock was heard at the door. It opened, revealing two small boys.

"Faerwyn told us about the baby," the older, darker one spoke up. "Are you keeping her?"

"Will she be our sister?" The smaller, fairer one asked.

"We can not keep her, my boys. Your father does not want me to harm myself," Finduilas explained sadly. "Faerwyn will raise her, and you will be her playmates. When she is older, she will marry a brave knight."

At this, the older boy stood proudly.

"Or a gentle artist," she continued, looking at her younger child.

"May I kiss her, Mother?" The little one asked. Finduilas nodded, and he bent down, giving the baby a loving kiss on the forehead.

"What shall I call her, ma'am?" Asked Faerwyn, who had been standing in the doorway the entire time. "She ought to have a name."

"Adalyn," responded Finduilas firmly. "Lady Adalyn of Gondor."

~~~

Lady Finduilas of Gondor never lived to see her dream. She died less than a month later.

The Lord Denethor, stricken with grief, turned the baby Adalyn out, vowing never to lay eyes on whom he believed was responsible for his beloved wife's death.

Faerwyn had other ideas. She had made a vow to the dying lady on her deathbed and she was determined to uphold it.

She told Denethor this, and because Denethor loved his wife so, he released Faerwyn from her duties, allowing her to take the baby.

Faerwyn left that night, taking baby Adalyn to the country where she was out of Denethor's reach.

Still, fearing the lord would change his mind and come after them, she renamed the baby, calling her Gwennan, Gwen for short. In respect of her mistress, she kept the name Adalyn, giving Gwen a second name, Alassë, which is the Elvish version of Adalyn.

The two boys never realized that Faerwyn took the child. Demeanor covered up the truth by telling them the maid took the child to an orphanage, before requesting her release so to mourn the lady in peace. They believed their father, but never forgot that small child their mother had rescued.

They never forgot her, and they never saw her again.

Until the time was right.