Chapter XIII

Gwen glanced around her as she and Boromir entered the city. She gasped, taking in the surroundings. 

So this was the legendary city of Imladris. It was even more beautiful up close. The hundreds of trees all had leaves the color of the sunset, their branches decorated with brilliant colors of reds and golds. The centuries old stone pillars supporting the beautiful city were entwined with vines, the fall flowers blooming big and bright. She removed her hood, letting her auburn curls loose as a cool, crisp breeze blew through the courtyard, tiny little leaves swirling through the air and resting in Gwen's hair. Her eyes finally landed on the most beautiful sight: A garden, filled with the colors of autumn. But it wasn't just that that attracted Gwen; it was a magnificent waterfall in the background, its mist bouncing off of the cobblestone with little rainbows shooting out of the droplets and up into the sky, being swallowed by the morning light of the sun.

She inhaled peacefully. The whole city had an aura of magnificence about it. 

Boromir, too, was tongue tied by its beauty. Always had he been a loyal son of Gondor, comparing the beauty of the White City to be lower than no other place in Middle Earth. Yet, he had been hit hard with the beauty of these Elves.

"Yallumë!" A voice broke through both Boromir and Gwen's thoughts. Gwen turned, her eyes resting on the face of an Elven guard.

"Yallumë," the guard repeated in Quenya. 

At last.

"Ask of him where the council is being held," Boromir instructed Gwen.

"Aiya, essenya Gwennan," she introduced herself then motioned to Boromir, introducing him as well. " Massë i omentië?" She asked, translating Boromir's question.

"You understand the language of the high Elves?" The guard exclaimed, so surprised that he spoke now in the common tongue.

Gwen nodded. "We have traveled from Gondor to attend the Lord Elrond's council."

"I know," the guard smiled. "We are expecting you. Ányë hilya!"

Gwen bowed her head, turning to Boromir. "We are to follow the guard."

The guard lead them up and down the narrow, sloping streets of the city, taking them right to the gate of Lord Elrond's home.

"You will be escorted to your quarters to freshen up," the guard explained. "The council will be held at high noon." With a nod, he said in Quenya: "Tenn' enquetielva. Namárië!" Until we speak again. Farwell!

"Hantenyel," Gwen said thanking the guard. "Namárië."

The guard bowed low, then turned and walked away.

"What do we do now?" Boromir asked as he got off of his horse.

Gwen thought for a few seconds before answering.

"I do not know."

"You will leave your horses here," came a voice from inside the courtyard. Gwen and Boromir turned to see two Elleths coming towards them, one with hair the color of the midnight sky, the other with curls of creamy caramel. "They will be cared for," said the dark haired one.

"If you will follow us, we will lead you to your quarters. You must make haste, for it will be time for the council shortly."

"Hantenyel," Gwen said as she trailed after the dark haired one and Boromir the light haired.

The dark haired Elleth lead Gwen up a stairway into the large guest house where her quarters were.

"A bath has already been drawn for you, my lady," she explained as she opened a large oaken door, revealing a magnificent room. "There is a dress laid out on the bed for you."