Chapter XXII

It was the next day, early in the morning before the sun began to rise. The Fellowship's boats were passing through a large canyon at the Southern end of the Andúin.

Everyone was traveling in uneasy silence, daring not to speak, as they still felt the coolness that had come between Aragorn and Boromir, as well as Boromir and Gwen. Instead, they watched the three with apprehension to see what would take place, who would speak first, or who might end up in the river- Pippin claimed it would be Boromir.

Not too long after they set off off, perhaps only a few hours, Aragorn lifted his head, half-smiling, and tapped Frodo on the shoulder.

"Frodo, the Argonath!" He said, looking up at two magnificent stone towers, carved in the shape of two kingly men. "Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin."

The Fellowship looked up in awe at the towering splendor of the Argonath, those two majestic statues proudly standing on each side of the Andúin. Their left arms were held aloft, their palms facing outwards in gesture of warning. Gwen could not help it as a small shiver went down her spine as she laid eyes upon them.

How powerful these kings must have been if they were to sit as a sign of eternal warning for all who passed.

"What warning could they be trying to tell us?" Gimli asked from behind her in the canoe.

"They were built at the order of Rómendacil the second of Gondor," Legolas said. "To mark his victory over the Easterlings."

"It marks the northern border of Gondor," said Gwen, a sense of longing beginning to tug at her heart as she thought of the life she had lead in this realm. It seemed so long ago, the days before the counsel at Rivendell.

They decided to stop their boats on the shoreline before a massive, roaring waterfall. They could go no further by boat.

As they disembarked onto a gravel beach, Gwen laid eyes upon Boromir, who looked troubled and appeared to be fighting a conflict within him. He was still upset about the night before, Gwen could easily tell. His temptation towards the Ring, too, was starting to effect him greatly, as she noticed he was constantly glancing down at Frodo, who stood beside her with a frightened look on his face. Encouragingly, Gwen placed an arm on his shoulder, smiling down at him and leading him up the shore.

She glanced up again in Boromir's direction, hoping to meet his gaze, but he would not look at her. Amends needed to be made, she knew this. Gwen tried to call out to him, but her tongue caught in her throat and she could form no words. Even still, she felt her conscious wrestling within her

"We cross the lake at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot." Aragorn's voice drew her back to reality as he was going over instructions. "We approach Mordor from the north."

"Oh, yes?" Gimli challenged. "It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better!"

Pippin looked up, alarmed by Gimli's words, meeting Gwen's gaze. She shook her head, convincing Pippin that Gimli was merely exaggerating as he so often did.

"Festering, stinking marshlands, far as the eye can see!" Gimli continued.

Gwen shoved him with her elbow, staring daggers at the Dwarf.

"That is our road," Aragorn said, unphased by Gimli's words. "I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf."

"Recover my...?! Phrrr..." Gimli groaned.

Legolas, who had been looking around nervously, had been staring into the forest for the past few minutes.

"What do you see?" Gwen asked softly, coming to stand by his side.