009

MAUVE VIOTTO

I had been curled up in the common room for hours without knowing, when suddenly I hear the clock's hourly chime

I had been curled up in the common room for hours without knowing, when suddenly I hear the clock's hourly chime. When I glance at the large clock on the wall, my mouth drops open at the number the short hand is pointing to. 4 AM, it's currently 4:19 AM in the morning and I have class in only a few hours.

But I still have the nagging feeling that my busy head might not allow me to fall asleep just yet. After all, I'm hardly tired. My messages I had sent to Alyssa earlier were left unread, and I know she fell asleep as soon as her head hit her pillow. Finley is no-doubt asleep as well— his sleep schedule is probably the closest to normal out of all of us.

I then remember the events in the library only a few days ago, and think of Theo. Glancing at the clock once more, it's a long shot, but it would be a win-win for the both of us.

Pursing my lips, I unlock the device and hover over his contact. I decide to send a text to make sure he's awake before impulsively calling.

hey
are you awake?

When I get confirmation that he is in-fact awake, I tell him I can't sleep because of the busy thoughts buzzing around in my head. When he asks if I want to call, I let out a breath of relief. Laying back in the comfort of the cotton couch, I slide my thumb across the device to answer his call.

"Hey, Mauve." His voice is soft, but not hushed.

"Hi," I reply, unknowing how to start off the conversation properly. It's not like I could just blurt out that I've been thinking about my crush for the past four hours without coming across as a bit weird or obsessive.

I hear a bit of shuffling on his end before he continues, "what's going on in your little head?"

"Umm.. I dunno. I just— maybe I'm overthinking," I let out a small laugh, shaking my head. It was something as silly as a crush that had caused me to text Theo at four in the morning. Talk about first-world problems.

He hums, "overthinking about what?"

At my silence, he continues with a reassuring tone. "You don't have to go in detail, but I think it helps to talk about it."

I almost laugh at this, remembering how similar Alyssa and I are in that aspect. "I was uh... I was thinking about that guy I like." I reveal, twisting the bottom of my shirt nervously.

A beat of silence passes before Theo responds again, with a more thoughtful tone than before. "Ah... I see. What about him?"

"Well, I really like him." I start off, taking a deep breath. It's not a middle-school crush that goes away after a few weeks when you forget about him or when someone new moves to town. It's deeper than that, and I think that scares me more. "I dunno, I've been thinking... and sometimes he sends me these signs that maybe he likes me too. B-but I don't want to get my hopes up or anything, and I definitely don't want to wreck my friendship with him." That's probably the last thing I'd want, and I don't know if I'm ready to risk that."