028

MAUVE VIOTTO

The first two weeks after return to Hogwarts goes by with a blur

The first two weeks after return to Hogwarts goes by with a blur. The overwhelming bundle of hope I had during Christmas had dwindled down until almost completely disappearing. Draco had been showing minimal interest in Pansy, and as a result, she was around more often than I liked. I couldn't bare to sit and watch as she threw herself on to him, laughing and smiling right across from me. I couldn't muster even the tiniest of a smile — regardless of how empty and hollow it was.

And because confrontation isn't my strong suit, I did what I do best and I distanced myself. At first, it was difficult. I would walk straight past the Slytherin table to sit with Luna at my own table, or sometimes, I'd sit with Hermione at the Gryffindor table. It got some time to get accustomed to having a new group of company, but it's easier now.

It's also helpful that Hermione, Harry, and Ron are quite fun to be around.

Of course, I miss hanging around everyone. It's particularly awkward when we make eye contact, and I'm always the first to break. I still talk to everyone, I'm simply not around as much.

I might be selfish for distancing myself, but who knows, maybe it'll help me get over Draco. Maybe this is all a good thing. Besides, I'd rather have him as a friend than nothing at all; and, I can't be his friend while I have this rampant crush that disarranges all my thoughts.

"Mauve, you okay?"

Blinking rapidly in shock, I'm pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of Harry's voice, his olive green eyes gazing up at me with concern. My mind automatically flashes, an image of Draco's blue ones momentarily replacing them. I shake my head again, I might be going insane.

I miss him.

"I'm okay," I give him a small smile. "Wanna go for a walk? I could use some fresh air." He grins at my offer, nodding and offering me a hand as he stands. I take it without hesitation, Ron raising a brow at us.

"And where are you lot going?" He questions, and Hermione rolls her eyes, smacking him in the back of his head. She gives him a reminding look and he shrugs. "Nevermind, here Mauve, catch. You didn't eat much today." He tosses me a bag of pumpkin pastries.

I grin, "thanks, Ron!" I stuff the snacks in the pocket of my robe as Harry and I walk away from the table. We walk past the Slytherin table, with my eyes unintentionally travelling to my friends. I wave as we pass, avoiding the gaze of Draco completely. Pansy is sat on his lap, and this time, he's letting her.

"I heard there are new releases on vinyls at the record store in the muggle side of London." Harry tells me, shoving his hands into the pockets of his robes.

"Really?" I hum. "Maybe I'll go check it out one day."

"You should, the owner is really nice. If you need help finding the way, I could come with you." He offers sheepishly, kicking the dirt on the ground softly.