Chapter 13

Three hours. Bucky has been sitting outside your door for three hours. The first hour was spent knocking every five minutes and begging for you to talk to him. The rest of the time was spent sitting on the floor and hoping you would open the door. You, on the other hand, were laying in your bed staring at the ceiling. The anger had subsided, but you were still upset about the situation.

"I need to talk to you, Barnes," Tony yelled from the living room, breaking him out of his staring match with the wall.

Bucky gave your door one last look before walking down the hall. Tony was leaning on the back of the couch, seemingly relaxed, but the look on his face told another story. Tony was scared, and Bucky had never seen that look in his eyes before.

"I don't like that look on your face," Bucky said as he stood across from Tony.

Tony let out a sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I don't like you right now, but I need you to do me a favor. Hydra shouldn't have been able to get this close. They won't stop until they have her. The only way I know to protect her is to send you and her to a safe house. I don't like the idea of being away from her right now, but keeping her safe is my only priority."

Bucky shook his head and scoffed, "She isn't going to like this."

Tony smiled at him teasingly. "Well maybe if I'm lucky, she'll kill you in your sleep."

Bucky rolled his eyes and looked out the window beside him. Tony was right, sending you to a safe house was the best thing for you. There was no record of you on any S.H.I.E.L.D database in order to keep Hydra from locating you. They shouldn't have known you were here. No matter how angry you were at him, Bucky would protect you no matter what.

"When are we leaving?"

Tony tossed a pair of keys to him and patted him on the back as he walked towards the elevator. "Leave as soon as you're packed."

The keys felt heavy in his hand as he thought about how he was going to tell you. Before the elevator doors could shut, Tony yelled out, "Oh I almost forgot, Peter is still on break for the next couple weeks so he'll be coming with you. The kid needs a vacation, so be a dear and pick him up."

Bucky groaned in annoyance and turned to your door. He knocked softly three times, not really expecting a response. When nothing happened, he decided to take a different approach.

"I know you're pissed and you have every right to be, but we have to leave. It's not safe for you here. Tony set up a safe house for us to go to. I know you can hear me, so please just get ready and pack so I can get you safe."

Buck waited outside the door for a reply, but none came. The shuffling of feet and rummaging through drawers was the only indication that you had heard him. With a sigh of relief, he went to his own floor and packed for himself. He didn't know how long this was going to last, so he packed as much as he could fit in his suitcase.

He knows he fucked up, but he can't lie and say he would've done anything differently. When the first shots went off, his first thought was to keep you safe. Bucky had been the target of many Hydra attacks, but they had been off his radar for the past few years. In that moment, he was certain that you were the new objective. There was no hesitation when he told Friday to keep you in your room. He hates that it brought back such a traumatic experience for you, but he didn't want you anywhere near that fight.

"You okay?"

Steve's voice brought the Bucky out of his thoughts. Bucky nodded his head to indicate he was okay and finished packing.

"I'm good. Trying to figure out how I'm going to survive being in a safe house with the kid."

Steve laughed and tossed a shirt to Bucky. "He's not that bad. He'll talk your ear off, but he's a good kid. Plus he's like a little brother to (y/n) so you have to make nice."