Chapter Ten: Blood

Gazing at the shadowy forest around me and the sun setting in the distance, I knew one thing for certain.

I was lost.

Utterly and hopelessly lost.

The rain, before a slight drizzle, was now hitting me with its bitter cold that not even my wolf's fur can provide me the warmth I needed anymore. My canines were chattering and eventually giving up, I changed back to my human self. There was no point in getting my wolf sick as well. After all, this was my fault.

I stood under a tree, while wrapping my hands around myself so I can warm up. The cold was biting into my skin and I felt tears fill my eyes, thinking of all the worst case scenarios.

What if Ayden never finds me?

What if I freeze to death?

What if everyone forgot that I exist?

What if Ayden thought that I was the seeker, and he was hiding in the forest as well? After all, he can be really dumb sometimes.

I shook my head at the last thought and sighed, wondering why I thought it was a good idea for Ayden and me to play Hide and Seek, when the sun was going to set. It was his idea and now because of it, I'm standing outside in the cold in the middle of the dark, gloomy forest.

I absolutely hated being in the dark.

I looked down at my shivering hands which was now turning a bit purple, and a sudden thought occurred to me. I know that I shouldn't and my dad will be really disappointed in me, but I was really curious and at that moment, desperate.

I took a deep breath and channeled the nature's energy to the palm of my right hand. Immediately, I started to feel heat building on the palm of my hand and I concentrated even more. I grinned, when I saw a flame emerge on the tip of my fingers and the heat filling my body.

Fire was the most dangerous element to master but little by little, I was getting better thanks to my dad's help.

Just as I thought that I was getting the control of it, a clap of thunder was heard from above me and I lost all my concentration.

"Ow!" I cried when the fire went out of control, and burned my hand instead. Angry tears started to build in my eyes, as I saw that the color of my hand was now turning bright red.

"Ariel, is that you?" a voice from behind me said. Immediately forgetting the pain, I turned around to see Adrian look at me; eyes filled with anger and worry.

"Adrian it's you! What are you doing here?" I whispered, but I couldn't stop the smile forming on my lips. He found me. Thank the Moon Goddess. I wasn't alone anymore.

"What am I doing here?" he demanded, and my smile slowly slipped off my face realizing how angry he was. "What are you doing here?"

I stared at him, seeing that his eyes were turning black meaning his wolf was taking control.

"I-um," I stuttered, not knowing why he was losing control. Though I didn't need to say anything, because his rant just started.

"Do you know how worried I was? How worried everyone still is? You and Ayden just decide to play in the middle of the night without telling anyone. We were so worried that something happened to you," my brother was breathing heavily by now.

I was about to open my mouth to speak but he beat me to it.

"You didn't even keep the pack-link open, Ariel!" he shouted coming near me. His hands were clenched into fists as his towering form stood over me. "What were we supposed to think? Huh? Answer me!"