Chapter Thirteen: The Shards

"Where are we?" I murmured to myself, my eyes still glued to the barren field we were in. It wasn't only the invisible house that petrified me, but the whole land itself.

No trees.

No animals.

No civilization.

There was nothing here but grass that stretched the fields for miles, almost making it look like there was no end to it. It all looked so...eerie.

"Ariel?" a voice whispered, dragging me away from my hopeless thoughts. My eyes connected with Leon's solemn eyes and the expression in them were as clear as day.

Fear.

Our chances of escaping this place grew slimmer each day and with Lucius in total control, we have no idea what's in store for us.

I looked down at my hands, trying to conjure up any form of power. We were outside the house so whatever was blocking our powers, should no longer apply. At this point, I would've settled for fire even though I have no practice with it. I was desperate at that moment but unsurprisingly, the results were disappointing.

A flick of fire emerged from my left palm before extinguishing on its own. The hope that gathered in me when seeing the flick of flame, vanished like the fire.

It was times like these that I wish I listened more to my dad during training. Fire was my strongest element when put in a battle, but it was so hard to control without practice, and I always ended up burning myself.

"That's so cool," Scott muttered, looking at me as if I was a very interesting specimen under a microscope. The other Alphas looked at my palm as if they couldn't believe their eyes. Suddenly I became more popular than the invisible house itself, if that was even possible.

"I guess I needed to see it to believe it," Cameron finally broke from his stare, giving me a wide grin. He shook his head before wrapping an arm around me. "You are officially my new best friend, Ariel."

"Then maybe it's time for you to make friendship bracelets to seal the deal," Trenton drawled out, making me stiffen in Cameron's embrace. "It's not like we were kidnapped and stranded in the middle of fucking nowhere, with a psychotic maniac as our captor or anything. Nope. You two just can carry on with your tea party."

"Shut-up," Cameron grounded out, narrowing his eyes at Trenton's form. "Admit it, Trenton. You're just jealous that you don't have the same powers that she has."

"Nah," Trenton retorted back, but I can tell that he was grinding his teeth at me. "I'm more jealous of her hair. How in the world is her hair so damn shiny?" The sneer in his voice chilled me to my bones.

"Are you puppies done yet?" Lucius's voice drawled out in a sing-song tone, immediately capturing everyone's attention. He was standing a few feet away from us, but admittedly, the distance did not put me at any ease at all. "But I must say, you guys are quite amusing to watch. I think you all deserve a standing ovation for being so entertaining."

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Scotty shouted out, effectively bringing everyone to his attention. "I don't even know who the hell you are, Lucius."

"It's only been three days, little wolf," Lucius replied calmly. "Don't tell me you got bored in the mansion already." He gestured behind him to the invisible mansion, and watched as we became more afraid.

There was nothing standing there. How was that even possible?

"The X Project," I said quietly, suddenly remembering what they called their grand plan. Everyone's attention now turned towards me and most of them looked confused. "What does that mean? You and your father were talking about it the first day you took us."