Chapter Fourteen: Revenge

"A silver wolf?" I asked, staring at Arlo in shock. "There was another one? Like me?"

"I'm not entirely too sure," Arlo responded. "I mean, I know the one that took down these Shards was a silver wolf, but I do not know the extent of his powers."

"Well, I can tell you," Scar-man interrupted, his eyes flashing gold. "But I'm surprised that you know so much about the Shards. Not many werewolves or vampires know about them."

"And why is that?" Leon asked.

"Well, no creatures want to pass down their failures and shame to the next generation," Scar-man answered bitterly. "In fact, most of the werewolves and vamps from the past liked to keep the truth about the war a secret."

"And so as generations went by," Lucius continued. "Not only did the Shards' existence become extinct but they were talked less and less by everyone."

"As if the Shards never existed," Arlo concluded, staring at both of our captors in dismay.

"Exactly," Lucius smiled cruelly, his eyes also flashing gold. It must be a Shard's trait.

"So where do you come in?" Cameron asked, regarding them with distaste. Clearly, he had no sympathy for them and couldn't care less about their problems.

"And what does the past have to do with us?" Scott demanded.

"It has everything to do with it, little wolf," Scar-man said, sounding calm again. He smirked at us but there was no humor on his face anymore.

"You don't have to tell them anything," Lucius told his father, while watching me intently.

"We deserve to know why we're here," Orion said, stepping in front of me and blocking me from Lucius' view. "It's the least you can do after putting us through this hell."

"I honestly don't care what you or don't deserve," Scar-man said. "But I will indulge you with a bit of your ancestral history. Maybe then you brats will understand what you're really up against."

"But father," Lucius started, but grew silent seeing the seriousness in scar-man's eyes. His eyes look haunted and there was a lot of anger buried deep in them.

"About two centuries ago," he began, looking dazed as he seemed like he was in another place. "I was a knight guard in the Esterbell Kingdom. Do you know what that is, Arlo?"

"Of course," Arlo replied, looking shocked. "The werewolf kingdom located in Paris."

"Good boy," Scar-man said mockingly, turning his gaze towards the rest of us. "During that time period, serving as a knight guard to that kingdom was an honor for any creatures. Only the strongest Shards were chosen to have the honor to protect the royal family."

There was a sneer in his voice and by the way Arlo tensed his shoulders, I could tell that he noticed it as well.

"I assume you didn't take a liking to your position," Arlo stated and scar-man grinned in response.

"Oh no," he remarked lightly. "The position was not the problem. I got great rewards, money, and countless women waiting in line for me."

"Then what was the problem?" Orion demanded. "From what you're telling us, you been living any man's dream."

"The problem wasn't my position, boy," he said bitterly, his hands clenching to fists at his side. "No. Being a knight guard was a fine job."

"Then what the hell was th-"

"The problem was who I was guarding," Scar-man interrupted, his fists clenched at his sides.

"You had a problem with the royal family," Orion stated, looking wearily at Scar-man.