Chapter Twenty Two: The Key

It was so dark and cold that for a moment, I thought I was dead. Every single cell in my body was aching and my eyes felt like they were lit on fire.

Was I in Heaven?

Or was I sleeping?

Was David and Derek executing Trenton right at this very moment because I couldn't stay awake.

Or was Trenton already killed?

My body trembled as ice cold fear snaked its way into my veins. My heart was beating so erratically that I was shocked that it hadn't burst into a million pieces already.

"Ariel," A voice whispered, and I spun around in the dark, trying to pinpoint where the voice was coming from.

"Who're you?" I screamed, or at least, I tried to scream it. My words came out low and weak and instead of the demand I wanted them to hear, all I released was a pathetic whimper.

It didn't matter though. The voice responded nevertheless.

"You know me," the voice responded and I wanted to shout at it, demanding him or her to be more clear with their words. The voice was too soft and I thought for a second that it sounded like a female's voice but I wasn't too sure.

The voice even sounded a bit familiar but I couldn't remember for the life of me.

For a long time, the only voice I heard was the dark one always echoing in my head. The one filled with menace, anger, and dark words. This was a different voice.

A kinder one.

"Who're you?" I cried hoarsely, terrified how dark the place I was in was. I couldn't see anything; not who the voice belonged to and not my hands that were trembling at the side of my body.

"I need to tell you some things, child," it said, sounding soothing and calm. "But before you do, I have a question for you."

"What is it?" I asked warily, clenching my hands into fists. I closed my eyes tightly, trying to forgot how much my eyes were hurting. Where was the burning coming from?

"Do you want to be free, my child?" She asked, and I snapped my eyes open from the idiocy of this question.

"What kind of question is that?" I shouted, my voice filled with exasperation. "Of course, I want to be free. Anyone in my position would want the same thing."

"I see," the voice stated, and I barely restrained a growl.

"Who are you?" I demanded again. "Can you help me escape this place? My friends too? Can you help them too? Answer me!"

"How far would you go for your freedom?" It asked, ignoring everything else I was screaming about.

"Anything. I would do anything for it," I shouted back.

"Then kill him," it said, and my anger flared.

"You don't think I tried that already?" I shouted, tears mixing with the excruciating pain still in my eyes. "You don't think I dreamed about it for years? Begged for it? If I was more powerful, if I had even an ounce of strength that could beat Lucius', I would've killed him already. And I would have done it with a smile."

There was a long pause where all that that can be heard was my rough sobs. I wanted her to scream back at me, so that I can yell back. I felt so angry and I wanted to use this imaginative figure in front of me as my outlet to all the sources of my problem.

"You misunderstood me, child," the voice said in the same grating tone that expressed feelings as blank as a white canvas. "You misunderstood my words."