Chapter Twenty-One: Star

With P'Gun watching over me, Dragon left the house. He didn't say where he was going but I was guessing it was to either see his father or to check out the house we'd been watching. According to P'Gun, it was owned by a corporation—something like a shell company that was registered to someone in Canada.

I had no idea how that really worked. Dragon seemed to.

Instead of sticking with P'Gun, I went back to working feverishly on my newest game. Usually, I would have a small crew, this one, I was doing on my own. It was important that I get everything just right—especially the lead.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed before P'Gun knocked on the door. When I looked up, he lifted a plate with a sandwich and a glass of juice. I chuckled.

"This is my way of saying you've been staring at those screens for too long." He told me, walking in. I quickly switched the screen to my email then turned in my chair to accept what he'd brough.

"What are you doing in here, anyway?" P'Gun asked.

"I'm working on a new game." I admitted before biting into a half of the sandwich.

"I thought you retired."

I chuckled. "Dragon likes men who are hardworking and doesn't just sit around all day."

The words were out my mouth before I could stop them. I closed my eyes, hoping he'd missed all that.

"You're doing this for Dragon?"

"Not for him." I sighed while swiveling my chair so I could look at him. "To prove I can be like Win, you know? From what I hear he was perfect. And here I am just sitting around, living off my money, contributing nothing."

"Star." P'Gun walked over to hunch down in front of m. "Dragon doesn't want you to be Win."

"But he wants me to be like him."

P'Gun shook his head.

"But he wants me to be ambitious and do things."

"True." P'Gun grinned. "You need to find a way to be those things while being you. And P'Win wasn't perfect. Well, he was perfect for Dragon, not anyone else. All you have to be is your brand of perfection and you'll be fine. Now, I'm not going to discourage you creating another game, because I've been waiting."

I laughed.

"Does creating make you happy?"

"It does." I replied.

"Then there you go." P'Gun stood.

"You're a fan, huh?" I asked.

"Something like that. I loved Wolf Kin." He explained. "The graphics were so crisp. The sound—I went out and got an entire system just because of that game. The storyline was pretty cool too—was that all you?"

"Yeah. But I had a little over three years to create everything." I sighed and faced my screens again while picking up my sandwich. "Wanna take a look?"

"Me?" P'Gun asked.

"You have to keep it quiet though."

He grinned handsomely and nodded.

For the next little while, we talked about the game. Even after I shut down my screen and we descended the stairs so I could surprise Dragon with dinner when he returned, we talked. When Dragon finally came home, we didn't hear him come in because we were busy leaning over my laptop on the kitchen island, talking story.

"Hello?" Dragon called.

I looked up. "Hey, P!"

"What are you two so engrossed in?" Dragon wanted to know.