Chapter Thirty-Four - Dragon

Suppong Tharanong.

It'd had been weird seeing my actual name. Still, as they opened the door and I climbed out of the back of the Rolls Royce, I tried not focusing on the way my name was scrawled in big letters on a banner outside the large venue. Even as I turned and reached in to help Star out of the vehicle, I couldn't help feeling like an asshole seeing it.

I'd asked my father not to go overboard for my birthday, and although I knew he wouldn't listen to me fully, I thought for sure he'd scale it back. Still, there were cars, lined up down the block of people waiting to get into my birthday. At this point, it wasn't about me anymore. This was my father's chance to show me off as the military hero, his son.

I understood he loved me and was proud of me—but this was just too much.

My heart raced inside my chest and all I wanted to do was climb back into the vehicle and go home again. But Star pressing a tender palm to my back, caught my attention. I inhaled, held my breath then pushed the air out my mouth.

"It's okay, P." Star leaned in close.

I couldn't resist—I kissed his forehead, allowing my lips to linger so I could get some of the strength he wielded so wonderfully.

The moment I did, the cameras began flashing. The clicking and blinding light was irritating me, giving me a slight headache. The demons of the explosion rose like bile in my throat.

"Breathe, P." Star cooed at me. "All you have to do is breathe."

"We're lovers, Star." I told him. "No need to call me, P."

Star grinned up at me and nodded. "I'll be right here with you. All you have to do is look for me. Deal?"

I couldn't speak—the words had died in my throat. I nodded.

"Good. Take my hand."

I hesitated.

"Dragon." Star pressed his side to mine with his hand lifted for me. "I see the panic in your eyes. Let me help you. Let me be there for you."

I did as he told me, and we walked by the media who were throwing questions at us as we walked by them without a backward glance. We hadn't really announced our relationship. Star didn't see the point and I believed we owed the public nothing. He'd all but disappeared from social media since we started dating—I supposed they were curious.

Inside, the room erupted in applause when I entered, and I drew a little closer to Star's side. I was introduced along with Star who they called my Partner.

When I looked at Star, he was blushing but smiling.

"Are you okay with that?" I asked as we took the first step down the winding staircase.

"Okay with what?"

"Being called my partner."

Star squeezed my hand. "I prefer boyfriend." He admitted. "Partner sounds like we're working together. What we do to each other has nothing to do with work."

I laughed softly just as we were swarmed by people wanting to shake my hands and congratulate me. I didn't release Star's hand through all that. When I finally had to release his hand, Star kissed the back of my hand and smiled at me for as long as I could look at him.

The rest of the night went by in a daze. I tried keeping my eyes on Star as much as I could. Everyone wanted to speak with me—they all wanted to know what I intended on doing with my life after the military. I was tempted to tell them I was about to try being a male gigolo, but I was pretty sure my father would disown me.