Chapter Twenty-Nine - Star

Dragon had nightmares that night. No matter how many times I woke up and pulled him into my arms, he always wound up on the far end of the bed, tossing and turning. 

Finally, around five in the morning, I felt his lips soft against my forehead. I knew what that meant.

I caught his arm. "Don't go."

"I kept you awake all night." He murmured, his lips hovering over mine.

I lifted my head and kissed him quickly before he could react. "I don't want you to go."

Our eyes locked in the dimly lit room and he nodded. Scooting over, I reached up for him and Dragon climbed back into bed, rested his head on my chest and I wrapped my arms around him.

Exhaling softly, I kissed the top of his head and closed my eyes.

I drifted off to sleep then, but I didn't think Dragon went back to sleep. When I woke up, he was still in the same position and the clock told me it was half past nine. After we showered together, Dragon left me to get dressed. I didn't let him leave the room without kissing me.

He chuckled, dropped another kiss to my bare shoulder and was gone.

I dressed slowly, wondering what his father wanted to speak to me about. Though our fathers were friends, I didn't know Dragon until the whole incident at the bar. He was a few years older than I was and by the time I was interested in my father's life, Dragon was already in the military.

Other than a polite greeting here and there, I knew nothing about Dragon's father, and it seemed strange he wanted to have a meeting with us.

After I dressed, I went into the office to send a couple emails to the BETA testers who were working on my newest project.

"Star?" He hollered from down the stairs.

"One sec."

I shut down the system and hurried down the stairs to coffee and breakfast. I made him feed me, making eating together fun. I laughed and accepted kisses from him. Dragon brushed my cheeks gently with the back of his knuckles, pushed my hair from my face and tapped my nose.

Though I could have gotten a haircut, I didn't want to. Him pushing the hair from my face was one way he showed me tenderness and I didn't want to lose that.

Finally, we cleaned up and set out on the road to meet with Dragon's father.

"I don't know what he wants to talk to us about." Dragon told me finally.

"Maybe it's about us." I blurted out. "I spoke to my father about us—he knows we're together. I'm sorry if you didn't want anyone to know."

"I don't want be your secret, Star." His voice cracked. "Which means I would never keep you a secret. I'm not upset with you."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

Dragon reached across from the passenger side and caressed the back of my head. "I'm sure."

"Good."

"Whatever my father has to say, we'll face it together."

I nodded, feeling a million times better than I had before. We stopped to pick up a few candy bars and then made our way to his father's office.

When we walked into his father's office, I couldn't understand what was going on. There were P'Card, Haru Noritama, my father and his. I frowned and made for P'Card.

Dragon caught me around the waist and pulled me backward into his body.

"He really went and told my father on me?" Star snapped. "You and your goons tried to kill me!"