Chapter Thirty Five

Diana's POV

Things are kind of awkward between Michael and I since he kissed me earlier at school today. Yes, he had kissed me before but, this time it felt...different. I'm not quite sure how. Maybe there was more meaning behind this one than the others? Maybe I felt more? There was a spark this time, I think. I could be overthinking this like I do with most things but, I don't think Michael would be acting the same way I am right now about it if it was so different. I'm not sure if the other boys have caught on to the slight unknowingness in the air surrounding the five of us. All I know for sure is that dinner is oddly quiet, especially for these boys.

"Are going to eat or just play with your food?" Asks Calum from across the table. I hadn't realized that I was pushing my food around with my fork until now. I look up from my plate and smile sheepishly. "Sorry, I'm just not that hungry anymore. I think I'm going to go back to the room and call it a night."

"Its only, like, seven o' clock!" Pouts Ashton.

"I know. I've just had a long day. Night guys." I smile as I put my dish in the sink and head to the bathroom to get ready for bed. I have a lot to think about tonight.

****

Michael's POV

"Dude, what's up with her tonight?" Wonders Luke. I hadn't told them what happened in the hallway at school today. I wasn't really sure if I should or not. I mean, I don't even know why things have been weird between us since I kissed her. I've done it before. But it was different this time. In the moment I kissed her I was trying to show her that I would be there no matter what and I think maybe it showed through the kiss. Did I scare her off by caring too much? Does she not like me that way? Why should I care? As long as I can be here to support her when she needs me that should be enough, right? Wrong. I'm starting to fall for her and I hadn't even realized until now. I'm such a dumb-ass. I shouldn't have just kissed her like that! Not when I knew that it might reveal how I feel about her! God, what am I supposed to do now? What if she doesn't like me?

"Hello! Anybody home?" Luke jokes as he waves a hand in front of my face.

I shake my head to clear my mind. "Yeah, sorry."

"What's up between you two?" He sounds concerned and Ashton and Calum look the same, carefully listening to our conversation.

"I don't even know!" I sigh, leaning my head back to emphasize my annoyance with my emotions.

"You can tell us you know? No matter how sappy you're feeling."

"I kissed Diana today. When I left lunch to go find her. She was upset and we talked a bit and I don't know why but I kissed her." I put my head in my hands and rubbed my temples. All of this worrying is giving me a headache.

Luke gives me a questioning look. "Why does it matter that you kissed her? You've done it before; trust me I know. It's not something I look forward to seeing again."

"I know, but this was different! I don't know why and I don't know how exactly, but it was!" I sigh in frustration.

"You like her." States Ashton as if it was as simple as two plus two equals four.

"But I liked her the last time I kissed her."

"Yes, but now you know her, like, really know her. It's not just a simple crush anymore. You're starting to notice little things about her that you like and you know she trusts you with a lot. Maybe this all adds up to you falling for someone Mikey. Not just liking them." He explains.

"I need to go talk to her or something. I can't just keep pretending that we aren't acting weird around each other." I decide as I stand up and walk towards my room.