Chapter Twenty Three

Diana's POV

My car sped down every street as other drivers honked their horns and gave me the middle finger because of how fast I was going. I didn't care though. I needed to get to my house before Sarah did. My mind was trying to come up with scenarios of how the situation would play out and it never ended well.

I took a turn down my street and breathed sigh of relief when my old friend's car wasn't in my driveway. I turned my car's engine off as soon as I put it in park and rushed out of my it and into my house.

I searched for my dad until my frantic eyes spotted him. He was hurriedly stuffing something in between the cushions of the couch which made me scrunch my eyebrows together in curiosity before his rage-filled gaze landed on me. He stood up and began walking towards me as I shook with fear.

"Sarah is on her way over here so please don't hurt me or her when she gets here." I blurted before he even opened his mouth to yell at me.

"Why the hell is she coming over here?" He demanded, stopping his movements to look out of the window to see if she was here yet.

"Because I wasn't answering her texts and she got worried so she is coming over to check on me." I explained as I started to play with my hands, a nervous habit of mine.

"Do not let her stay a second longer than she needs to. Am I clear?" He said in a menacing voice.

I only nodded my head in response because my brain was still hyperactive from the thought of someone else getting hurt because of my dad; because of me.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when the doorbell rang. I looked over at my dad, silently asking if I could answer the door. He harshly nodded. "Gone as soon as she comes in." He reminded me.

"Diana! Open the door! I can't hold this soup for much longer it's heavy!" Sarah yelled through the door.

I slowly walked to the door as my dad receded into his room, out of sight. I slowly turned the door knob only to have the door burst open in front of me as Sarah barged into my house without warning. She brushed right past me and into the kitchen where she set down a big plastic container filled with chicken noodle soup.

"Phew! That soup was really heavy, especially after carrying it the whole walk here." She said in an exasperated breath.

"Thank you for the soup Sarah." I spoke in a quiet voice.

"No problem!" She smiled. "How are you feeling?" She wondered while making herself at home by taking a seat on one of the stools by the countertop.

"Not too well. I think I'm pretty contagious so I wouldn't stay too long if I were you." I said as I fixed my scarf and hair to cover my bruises.

"But we haven't talked in ages!" She complained.

"We can always talk when I'm feeling better." I offered.

She sighed. "Fine, fine. I guess I can wait to catch up with you."

I nodded my head as she moved herself out of the stool and towards the door. I opened it for her and she stepped out onto the porch. She turned around to face me and said, "I hope you get better enough to go to school tomorrow."

"Me too. I really don't like staying home and missing so much."

"Typical Diana not wanting to miss school." She paused. "Well, I would hug you, but I'd rather not get sick." She laughed.

"It probably wouldn't be the best idea." I chuckled.

"Bye Diana!" She said as she finally began walking away from my house.