Chapter Eight

Diana's POV

I got up earlier than I usually would so I could leave before my dad this morning. When I saw him later this evening I planned on telling him I stayed over at Sarah's to explain my absence last night and this morning.

I yawned as I stretched my tired limbs, forcing myself out of bed and into the shower. I tried my best to be quiet so I wouldn't have to confront my dad, awoken from any loud noises.

The warm water helped relax all of my tense muscles and I dreaded the moment I had to turn the water off. I wrapped my towel around my small body as I stepped out of the shower. I wiped the steam away from the mirror so I could look at my reflection and brush my hair before blowing it dry and changing.

Once I had finished getting ready I descended the stairs and walked through the living room and into the kitchen. I was not going to risk missing breakfast this morning so I popped two waffles into the toaster. I debated what to do in my free time before school and decided it was best to go to Starbucks to get coffee. I didn't usually drink coffee but I was still fatigued from my sleepless night on Monday. The waffles soon popped from the toaster and I quickly grabbed them and threw them onto a plate so I didn't burn myself. I seated my tired body at the island in the center of our kitchen, quickly eating my waffles before snatching my keys from their spot on the counter and heading out.

To say Starbucks was crowded would be an understatement. Apparently mornings before adults left for work and kids went to school couldn't be completed without coffee. I ordered my frappe and patiently waited for my drink.

A few minutes later I went to check the time using my phone and panicked. I frantically searched my pockets and purse for the small device desperately trying to find it. I retraced my steps this morning before realizing that I had left it on my nightstand in my room, relieved that I hadn't lost it.

"Diana!" yelled the barista holding my drink up in the air. I walked over to him and then left the crowded establishment heading to school.

I entered the building the same time I would have any other morning, happy that I would make my first period class on time. I was not looking forward to going to my locker, afraid to be bombarded with questions by Michael that I wasn't prepared to answer.

I found myself grinning when the space around my locker was unoccupied hopefully meaning Michael had already been to his. I unlocked the flimsy door and swung it open. I pulled a few books and folders from the shelf and hung my jacket up on the hook. I was shocked to turn around and see Sarah after closing my locker door shut.

"Hey!" she smiled.

"Hi, did you want to talk about something?" That sounded a lot nicer in my head, but I didn't care much about how I came off after the last two days I've had.

"Wow. Someone's in a good mood." her tone dripping with sarcasm, as we began to walk down the hall.

"Yeah well, I guess this is what happens to a person when they question almost everything they knew."

"Come on Diana, you can't mean that."

"Oh, but I can." I smirked, just trying to mess with her.

"Back to why I was at your locker..." she continued, expertly changing the subject.

"Okay, why were you at my locker? Other than my cheerful mood of course."Sarah laughed at my comment, obviously trying to make me feel better.

"Do you know who Michael Clifford is?" Great. Just who I wanted to talk about.

"Yes, why?" I questioned, a sour expression taking over my facial features.

"I saw him at your locker, like, waiting for you or something!" she squealed.