Chapter Twenty

Michael's POV

We had been home after dropping Diana off for about two hours now and I just finished up my homework when there was a slight knock at my bedroom door. Ashton didn't wait for permission to enter my room before opening the door and making his way towards me. He had worry lines etched onto his forehead and seemed distraught about something.

"We need to talk Michael." He finally said after taking a seat on my bed.

"About..."I wondered even though I knew this was going to be about Diana.

"Michael, please don't play this game with me. You know exactly what I want to talk about."

"I don't understand why this is such a big deal. I like Diana and I was only trying to help her." I simply stated.

"I get that, I really do, but you and I both know that there is more to this situation than just your feelings for a girl."

"So what?"

"So, I need you to tell me whats going on." he pressed.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry Ashton, but I can't do that."

"Yes, you can. I asked her what was going on this morning after I woke her up and she said you could tell me."

"Why would you wake her up? I told you not to!"

"She was freaking out in her sleep. I came in here because I thought she was hurt but she was only sleeping. She had a nightmare and from what I could tell it was really bad Michael. She was thrashing around and crying and she kept telling someone to stop doing something and screaming. Whatever she's going through is serious, I can tell it is, and I need you to tell me what's going on."

"I promised her I wouldn't tell anybody, including you guys."

"I know, she told me that too. She also told me that she is fine with you telling me whats going on." he insisted.

"Why would she do that?" I asked him.

"Because I told her that I was worried about you. I told her you didn't know what to do about whatever is going on that you only want to help her."

"And that was enough for her to be okay with me telling you?" I quizzed in disbelief. I thought she was trying to keep this a secret. I thought she trusted me enough to tell me things like this.

"She wanted to make sure that you trusted me and then it was enough for her." he explained.

"Who said I trusted you?" I sarcastically remarked.

He just stared at me with an expression of un amusement on his face before saying, "Michael, I want to help you and I want to help Diana, so please just explain everything to me."

I wasn't sure if I should tell Ashton everything or only some of what was going on. I didn't want him to call the police after I told Diana that I wouldn't unless something horrible happened between her and her father, but I also knew that he could help. He would be able to give me advice and maybe even convince Diana that she shouldn't be staying with her dad.

"Michael?" Said Ashton, snapping me from my thoughts.

I obnoxiously sighed before I said anything to emphasis my annoyance at him for forcing me to give away someone else's deepest secrets.

"We both know that her mom committed suicide, but there's a lot more to that story. She actually saw her mom shoot herself. She tried to stop her, but it was too late and by the time she reached her mom's body she was already gone. The police never gave Diana a letter or anything like that, as far as Diana knows her mother never wrote one before her death." I saw Ashton's face go from concerned to empathetic as I told him only a fraction of Diana's tragic story.