Lan Zhan's Happiness; Bored Wei Ying

Wei Ying was in a coma for nearly a week. Lan Zhan kept an eye on him the entire time, feeding him his qi to help stabilize him. The pills the healer gave them were working, but Wei Ying's body seemed to not want to heal. Everytime it seemed his fever broke, it would return with full force and rage into the early morning.

Then around a week later, the fever broke completely. Wei Ying slept for another two days afterward. His eyes opened slowly. The light was a bit painful, but he endured it to search the room for Lan Zhan. He found him, sitting right next to the bed, holding his hand and transferring qi to him.

Wei Ying: "Lan Zhan..." It was spoken very softly, but the other heard it and perked up. "Lan Zhan...my neck hurts..." Lan Zhan gingerly touched where the bite was. Wei Ying winced and hissed from the pain. "Help me sit up?" Lan Zhan helped him sit against the headboard. Wei Ying tried to smile, but it faltered halfway through. Lan Zhan knew something was wrong, but he didn't pry. The other would tell him when it was necessary.

Lan Zhan: "Is Wei Ying hungry or thirsty?" The other shook his head.

Wei Ying: "I'm fine. I just..." He trailed off. Lan Zhan waited for him to finish, encouraging him with rubbing his fingers over the other's hand. Tears threatened to fall from Wei Ying's eyes. He sniffled. He looked away. "Lan Zhan. You should move on without me."

Lan Zhan was shocked by the statement. "Wei Ying! Why-"

Wei Ying sobbed. "Because I can't feel my legs. Damn it! I would only be a hinderance to you..."

Lan Zhan hugged him close and whispered, "Not a hinderance. Never a hinderance. If need be, this one will carry you all the way to the ends of the Earth. Am certain it is only temporary anyway. Wei Ying will be fine."

Wei Ying cried. He cried for a good hour, falling asleep in the other's embrace. He sniffled every now and then in his sleep.

Lan Zhan carried him out of the inn after paying the rest of the bill. Wei Ying needed a bath, but Lan Zhan would wait until the other was awake. He took him to the same healer and inquired of the paralysis.

Healer: "Yes. The paralysis is only temporary since you came in time. However, he needs to keep taking the medicine, until it's gone to ensure all the venom is extracted from his body. Anything else I can help you with?"

Lan Zhan: "No. Elder has been most kind. This one offers their thanks."

The healer chuckled at the formality of the male in white. "Young man. There is no need to be so formal with me. I'm always happy to help when it's needed. This old man has seen many years of hardships and joys. It makes no difference to me who you are as long as you have your happiness."

Happiness? Lan Zhan looked at Wei Ying fondly. The healer chuckled and smiled knowingly. "Young man. I will tell you now, nothing escapes my attention. The disheveled appearance you showed up with showed me just how much you care. I don't know you personally, but I can see how happy you are with this other young man."

Lan Zhan was left speechless. The man reminded him of his brother. He thanked the healer once more and left for the next town.

Along the way, Wei Ying awakened. He looked up at Lan Zhan. "Lan Zhan? Where are we?"

Lan Zhan: "Headed to next town."

Wei Ying: "Do you really need to carry me this way? It's embarrassing." He pouted.

Lan Zhan found the pout very adorable but controlled the urge to tackle the young fox. He looked up to see the sun was setting. He found a place in the forest where there was water flowing through. He stopped there to rest them for the night.

Wei Ying wished he could sleep in a tree, but without the feeling in his legs, he couldn't climb one even if he had to hide. Wei Ying was depressed. He was bored with waiting for Lan Zhan to finish hunting for meat. He wished very much to be able to run around and play with all the bugs and other creatures. He cried at the thought of being paralyzed for the rest of his life.

Lan Zhan returned with a kill only to find the young fox trying to stand on his own. Wei Ying was holding onto the trunk of the tree he had been sat under, trying to pull himself to a standing position. He dug his claws into the tree and pulled. He would successfully pull himself so far, then slip down again and land with a thump in the grass. He ultimately gave up and wailed at not being able to sit in the tree as he wanted to.

Lan Zhan dropped his, now dead, prey to tend to the poor fox. "Wei Ying!" He helped the other to sit upright, repositioning his legs.

Wei Ying: "Lan Zhan! I'm so useless now! I can't even sit in the tree to pick fruit like I want to!" he wailed.

Lan Zhan comforted the poor fox. "Wei Ying. Healer said paralysis is temporary." Wei Ying continued to wail.

Wei Ying: "What if he's wrong? What if it isn't? I'm bored already with not being able to morph and run around and play with the other creatures or even hunt. I'm a burden to you now. That's all I will ever be!"

Lan Zhan didn't know how to respond at first. He shushed the young fox. "Wei Ying is not a burden. Wei Ying brings happiness. Wei Ying is my happiness."

Wei Ying was baffled. He stopped crying all at once. "Still doesn't alleviate my boredom," he mumbled, pouting.

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying."

Wei Ying looked up just in time for Lan Zhan to lock their lips together. Wei Ying's mind was so occupied with the kiss, he didn't notice when Lan Zhan had slipped something into his hand. After the kiss was broken, Lan Zhan stood.

Wei Ying pouted. "Where do you think you're going after that magnificent kiss? You shouldn't leave me hanging like that!" He shook his fist in the air. He looked and there was his flute.

Lan Zhan: "Will prepare dinner. Play a song."

Wei Ying was dumbfounded. He watched as the other made dinner. He subconsciously touched his lips. He blushed at the thought of how soft Lan Zhan's lips were. Lan Zhan looked at him as if to ask if he was okay. Wei Ying startled from his thoughts and looked away. Lan Zhan smiled.