Lan Zhan's Missing; Wei Ying's Fear

A week later:

"What?! What do you mean I'm not going?"

Lan Zhan sighed. "Wei Ying. It's too dangerous. Stay here."

Wei Ying: "But-"

Lan Zhan glared at him. Wei Ying shut his mouth immediately, hiding in a corner of the room. Lan Zhan felt a pang of guilt as he watched the other shake from fear. He sighed. "Wei Ying..." He bent down to the other's level. "Listen..."

Wei Ying sniffled. "You always take me with you. Why is it so different this time?"

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying. This one was told to go alone. Cannot take Wei Ying this time."

Wei Ying looked at the floor dejectedly. "Oh..." was all he spoke. Lan Zhan pet him between his ears, pulling a purr from him. "I wish you wouldn't leave. I have a bad feeling about it."

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying. Don't worry. Will return soon."

Wei Ying had his doubts, but he only sighed and obliged. "Alright, Lan Zhan. Stay safe." Lan Zhan hummed and nodded. He left without speaking another word. Wei Ying watched him leave, his heart thumping rapidly in his chest. He was worried and rightfully so.

Lan Zhan reached the gate only to be stopped by Xichen. "Wangji. Are you certain you don't wish to take Wei Gongzi along this time?" Lan Zhan nodded. Xichen sighed. "Very well. He is worried for you, you know? He always searches all over Cloud Recesses for you. I feel he's grown very attached to you."

At that exact moment, a lone figure ran toward the two. "Lan Zhan!"

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying. No running."

Wei Ying pouted. Lan Zhan had to control himself. Xichen stifled a laugh with his sleeve by pretending to cough.

Wei Ying: "Lan Zhan! You cannot just up and leave without saying 'Good bye'."

Lan Zhan didn't know what Wei Ying meant. He was taken aback for a moment as the young fox hugged him. He soon returned the hug, caressing the other's hair gently. "Wei Ying. Will return soon. Behave."

Wei Ying refused to release the hug. "Take me with you."

Lan Zhan sighed. Xichen smiled knowingly.

Xichen: "Wangji. If it's any consolation, taking Wei Gongzi with you might benefit you in the long run. You never know what will happen in the future so having a companion could be helpful in the end."

Lan Zhan only rolled his eyes. After a few minutes of silent contemplation, Lan Zhan sighed. "Wei Ying. Pack what is needed for the trip."

Wei Ying gazed at him with wonderment and excitement. "Really? I can go?" Lan Zhan nodded. "Goody! Let's go then!" Lan Zhan looked at him confused. "I knew you might not approve, but I had packed my things already and was going to follow you from a distance."

Lan Zhan glared at the fox, who coward in fear, curling in on himself to hide. "Wangji. Calm down. He didn't do anything wrong. He was only worried about you," Xichen quickly stepped in. "Don't be harsh with him."

Lan Zhan's expression softened. "Wei Ying..." he spoke gently. Wei Ying cautiously peeked out at the dragon. "Come." Lan Zhan turned around and walked away. Wei Ying was happy! He quickly followed after the dragon.

Wei Ying didn't stop talking the entire way. At one point, he began to wonder where they were headed to. "Lan Zhan?" Lan Zhan hummed. "Where are we going exactly?"

Lan Zhan: "To QingheNie Sect. Going to speak to younger brother of Sect Leader."

Wei Ying was excited and filled with wonderment as a child at the prospect of who the person could be. His curiosity did not dissipate the entire way. He was practically hopping and skipping along the pathway just ahead of Lan Zhan. Lan Zhan watched with amusement as the young fox ran away from a bee which chased him. Lan Zhan shooed the bee away, but not before it stung Wei Ying on the arm.

Wei Ying whimpered. "Lan Zhan..." he whined cutely.

Lan Zhan sighed silently. He laughed internally at the adorable face the fox was making. The dragon checked the sting. "Wei Ying is fine. Let's go."

Wei Ying wouldn't budge. "Carry me," he demanded, making grabby hands at the dragon.

Lan Zhan: "Walk." The word was spoken simply but with authority.

Wei Ying pouted and continued to sit on the ground like a child. Lan Zhan ignored him and continued walking in the direction of Qinghe.

Lan Zhan had only gone about five steps ahead when the ground opened up and swallowed him. Wei Ying stood and ran to the area to try and rescue the dragon, but he was too late. By the time he'd reached the pit, the earth closed back over, and Lan Zhan disappeared.

Wei Ying panicked! He didn't know what to do! He couldn't return to Cloud Recesses as he was bad with remembering directions and always was lost easily. He most certainly didn't want to leave the place Lan Zhan had disappeared into. The problem was opening the pit up again, especially since he was unfamiliar with the magic which was used for creating such a trap. It would take days, weeks even, for him to figure out how to reverse the spell, and Lan Zhan could be dead by that time.

"That trap was meant for you, but I guess I've gained a better prize! Who knew you would be alongside a dragon? I can make good money off you. Cooperate, and I'll release him from the trap."

Wei Ying wondered where the voice was resounding from as it echoed through the forest of trees. "Who are you?! Will you really release Lan Zhan?!"

The voice laughed menacingly. "Of course, little one! After all, I always keep my promises."

Wei Ying felt his head begin to throb. The throbbing turned into a pounding. The voice continued to laugh menacingly. Everything sounded far away. He blacked out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wei Ying! Wake up! Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan shook the young fox awake. Wei Ying's eyes flew open as he gasped for air. He panted, sweat dripping down his face.

Wei Ying looked around after noticing Lan Zhan. The fox boy noticed he was still in the Jingshi. Lan Zhan wiped the young fox's face with a cold cloth. "Lan Zhan...?" he finally managed to say. "What are we doing in the Jingshi? Weren't we just on our way to QingheNie Sect?"

Lan Zhan looked at him confused. "Wei Ying had a dream."

Wei Ying: "I did? I don't remember any of it though," he lied. "Whatever it was, it felt real. My head is pounding. What time is it anyway?"

Lan Zhan: "Near four in the afternoon."

Wei Ying looked at the other in pure shock. "What?! I slept for an entire day?!"

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying slept for an entire week."

Wei Ying couldn't take hearing anymore. "Ugh...I just want to bathe and eat. I'm starving. Ah! My head!"

There was a lump on the back of his head. Lan Zhan placed a cool cloth on it. "Wei Ying. We did go to QingheNie Sect a week ago. Wei Ying fell from a tree while napping and banged head on a small rock. Wei Ying has been in a coma for that long."

Wei Ying couldn't believe what he was hearing. "But...in the dream you disappeared down a giant hole and was swallowed by it! There was a strange voice echoing through the trees, laughing menacingly. Are you certain we were at Qinghe the entire time?"

Lan Zhan was even more confused. "Wei Ying. Am certain of this. It was only a dream. Don't worry over it. What does Wei Ying want to eat?"

Wei Ying: "Lan Zhan!" he replied mischievously. Lan Zhan half-glared at him.

Lan Zhan: "Wei Ying," he warned.

Wei Ying: "Sorry! I was only teasing! I won't do it again! I just want dumplings!"

Lan Zhan smiled and pet the fox gently between the ears. "Behave. Will return shortly."

The dream the fox had had returned as he watched Lan Zhan walk out the door. "Lan Zhan! Wait!" Lan Zhan turned around. "Take me with you?" he requested timidly. Lan Zhan hummed in response.

He dressed the poor fox and carried him to the kitchen where they ate in peace together. Wei Ying loved Lan Zhan's cooking. He declared it to be the best! Second to his Shijie's of course.