The Chat

Sighing deeply, his black eyes holding hers earnestly he starts to speak and most of what he says drowns in the pools of exhilaration that bounces in her stomach.
My, she sighs inwardly, how beautiful he is.
And those eyes.. Boring into me..
He sees me!, her heart rejoices. Until Quin's words register. Total u-turn. "What?" Minxi exclaims rudely, and his face hardens.
"I said, I don't want you to mix with the people here. To be honest, we are all immortals and you are not. We are not the same. Until we can figure out how to wake you up, you must stay here." and, as if he wants to soften the harshness of his words, "I will take care of you, you don't worry about anything. Cultivate the way I taught you, it will be good for you."

Trying to meditate a few hours later, she keeps hearing Quin's words. "We are all immortals.." she mimics, rolling her eyes. Then her face sombers up and her eyes fill with tears. As clearly as if he snubbed her, she knows he will never love her. Resting her hands in her lap, she sighs and look through the round window, admiring the sound of the wind in the peach tree just outside her window.
This dream, this place.. Immortals..
Getting up decisively she strides to the door. Today is the day she will finally find out what is the importance of the river, and why she changed when she went there.