Chapter 26: I Need

Jin

I knew it was a mistake coming back. My brain was telling me it was a mistake. My friends all told me it was a mistake. Namjoon said it was a goddamn mistake.

But here I was, standing outside Bella's apartment, my hand poised to knock on her door. I couldn't help it. I had to see her. I had to hear her voice. She had not responded to any of my hundred text messages, and my calls had all gone to voicemail. I got it. I understood that she was hurt and upset and probably lots of other adjectives, but she had to hear the truth--or at least the part I could share with her. I thought I owed it to her. Maybe then she would understand my predicament. Maybe then she would stop hating me...a little.

I steeled myself with a deep breath and knocked. After a few tense seconds, the door opened. It was Cindy. Her face was one of unpleasant surprise.

"Hi, I was hoping--" I began before she pushed me back from the door and closed it behind her.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she hissed, glancing back toward the door. Before I could answer, she grabbed my arm and pulled me around the corner where we couldn't be seen from her front door. We stood facing each other on the sidewalk.

"Are you out of your fucking mind?" she scowled at me.

I tried to remain calm. "Yes, I think I am," I replied much to her shock. "I am completely out of my mind because I can't stop thinking about her. I need to see her."

"No way," she enunciated emphatically. "No. Way."

"Listen to me, please!" I begged. "I need to talk to her. She needs to know the truth, the real truth before she hears everything else."

Cindy's scowl returned. "The truth? You mean your truth? God! You are some piece of work! What other truth is there besides the fact that you're getting married? That you want Bella to stay with you as your fuckbuddy? Your side chick? You've got some fucking nerve, you liar!"

"That's not it at all!" I exclaimed, raising my voice. I swore I would stay calm, but I couldn't in the face of her accusations. "Will nobody listen to me? When have I ever lied to you? To her?"

She scoffed. "Hm, let's see. Maybe when you got engaged and said nothing about it to Bella. She went to see you because she thought you loved her, and she wanted to be there for you while you dealt with your family shit. And this is how you repaid her--you're going to marry someone else, some rich bitch! Just get out of here with your shit, Seokjin. This is not a public restroom. Don't come back."

"Damn it, Cindy! Let me see her! I need to see her! You can't stop me," I retorted. "I can just move you aside and go see her."

"Yes, you could," she spat. "But I swear I will scream bloody murder. Try me."

I took a breath. "How are her parents?" She blinked in confusion at my question. "Her parents, how are they? Is their business still doing well?"

She stared at me for a few moments before she shook her head as if to clear it. "Um, her parents? I don't know. Wait a minute, wait a minute. Why are you asking?"

"Look, if you could find out for me, please," I replied. "I want to make sure that their business is doing well. They received an investment recently, and I just wanted to make sure that they had put those funds to good use."

Cindy frowned at me. "How do you know all this?"

I shrugged. "I'm getting my MBA. It's my business to know about business." I hoped she wouldn't see through my lie and ask anything more specific. The investment that Banquet Catering had received had been from me so that they would not be tempted to accept any offer that might come from KWI. I wasn't sure what my father intended to do yet, so I was taking preventive measures.

"Please just find out for me and let me know," I repeated my request. While she was pondering my words, I walked past her toward the front door.

She whirled around. "Hey! Wait!" She grabbed my arm. "Stop! Stop right now!"

"Let me go, Cindy!" I cried, pulling her along with me as I got closer to the door. "I need to see her!" I was about to knock on the door when it opened. Bella's eyes were round as she took in the sight before her. Cindy and I ceased our struggling.

"She will not talk to you!" Cindy declared, rushing toward Bella.

My eyes never left Bella's face. In my mind I was begging her to give me a minute.

"I'll talk to him," Bella said suddenly. Both Cindy and I stared open-mouthed at her.