Chapter 28: A Little Faith

Bella

I never thought I'd say this, but Jin had ruined my day by showing up at my apartment. After he left, I went to my room, moving like a sleepwalker, and got into bed. I did not speak to anybody, and I did not do any work for my classes. I was too exhausted and just wanted to cancel the rest of the day. When I would not discuss what had happened, Cindy gave up and left me alone.

Today, I woke up thinking that it was one day closer to Jin's wedding, and I found the motivation to get out of bed. I wasn't sure that Jin would take care of things, the way he said, but I was determined to let everyone know that I was moving on, that he had not broken me. In other words, I would put on my best performance, and hopefully I would end up fooling even myself.

When I arrived at campus, I walked briskly to my class so that no one would try to speak with me. I walked into the classroom, and Namjoon immediately rushed over to sit next to me. His soft eyes scanned my face with concern. I couldn't find my voice, so I reached over and placed my hand over his, smiling gratefully. He was always such a sweetheart. If only Jin had channeled some of his outrageous sex appeal into caring and kindness, things might have been different. Maybe I would feel more comfortable about his promises and not feel as if I have been blinded by his shallow interpretation of love.

Before I knew it, the lecture was over, and I had not concentrated on one word that the professor had spoken. I glanced around in confusion. I needed to get myself together.

"Don't worry," Namjoon said. "You can copy my notes. I'll explain what he said."

I exhaled. "Thanks. I'm...I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me." I looked at him. He knew exactly what was wrong with me but had decided not to say it out loud.

"Let's go get a coffee or something," he said, gathering up his books. "You just need something to lift the fog."

I nodded and followed him out.

We grabbed coffees from the student cafe and decided to sit outside since it was a glorious late morning--cool but sunny. I put my cup down at my feet and moved to the part of the bench that was awash in sunlight. I turned my face, eyes closed, up to the sun's rays.

"Ah, this feels wonderful," I sighed.

"You look like a reptile sunning itself," Namjoon quipped with a chuckle.

I turned, pretending to be offended. "Wow, Joon, way to toss out a compliment."

He grinned. "Sorry. I should say you look like a very cute and adorable reptile sun--"

I punched his arm playfully, and he laughed as he tried not to spill his coffee. "You big doofus!" I exclaimed, also laughing. "How's that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Let...me...put my coffee...down." He fended off my attempts at punching his arm again by grabbing my hand. "I don't think you really need compliments. I mean, you know you're beautiful. All these guys walking by and staring think you're gorgeous, and I'm sure every one of them wishes they could trade places with me."

I grinned contentedly. "Now that's a compliment," I said. "You're doing wonders for my self-esteem right now."

"I can keep going," he offered. "Not only are you beautiful, but you're smart and caring and--and you make me want to take care of you and make you happy."

I inhaled sharply, thinking how closely his words resembled Jin's promises to me. He looked at me nervously. "I--I mean, uh, that..." he stuttered, probably thinking I was upset with him.

"I think I understand," I said, trying to ease his discomfort. "Thank you."

He nodded. "You need to believe that things will work out. A situation like this calls for a little faith. I know Seokjin. I know that he wouldn't just turn around and marry a total stranger no matter what his father wants."

"I am trying to have faith, Joon," I replied, "but part of me is scared that maybe I misread everything between us. What if he doesn't really feel that strongly about me? What if--?"

"Stop," he interrupted me gently. "Anyone who knows him knows that he's crazy about you."

"So people tell me. Yet he's engaged to someone else," I said. "And he let me find out about it in the most humiliating way."

"That was wrong of him, I'll admit," he said. "But I think he was just as blindsided by all of this as you were. I'm sure it's been difficult for him having to deal with his family again after so many years. Just give him some time. Have a little faith. You're an incredible woman. Any guy would be eternally grateful for the chance to be with you."

I leaned closer to him. "You say just the right things. You really are the nicest, most caring man I know, and I'm grateful for your company. Always." I kissed him on the cheek then touched his face with my hand. His expression changed. His eyes became laser-focused on my lips.

"Bella," he whispered, leaning closer to me.

A shadow fell over us, and we both turned to see Seokjin standing right in front of our bench.

"Well, isn't this nice?" he said with a sneer.