O N E .

⇰ flashback⇰.

I listened to my mother and step father argue as he beat her.

My mother came out  , her face bruised up. She reached for the concealer.

''Ma Ma , when you grow up , give a man your all. Or they will beat you.'' she said applying make up to her bruises.

''Don't listen to her Ma Ma. Never let a man take for granted of you.'' my grandmother who was Ill said rocking in her chair.

''I'm only 9 , I don't understand.'' I said tears streaming down my face.

''Stop allat crying sissy.'' my stepfather said.

''Keisha bring ya ass bitch.'' he added pulling her.

''Give them your all !" my mother said before being dragged out the house.

''Don't .'' my grandmother said .

''Don't. you understand ?'' she said gripping my face and I nodded.

''Go get the brush so I can do your hair , pretty girls don't cry.'' she said.

I saw a few tears come down her cheek too.

I knew that was the last time I seen my Mother .

⇰present ⇰.

Kalani Amaya Lewis .

''I told you. You .. stuck .. with .. me .. bitch.'' my boyfriend Kyllan said hitting me in between his words.

The words stuck stung my ears. 

I sat up panting from my nightmare.

I looked over at a sleeping Kyllan.

What did I see in him. 

He beat me so badly two days ago.

I crept out of bed grabbing my clothes and getting ready , I ran outside just as the schoolbus pulled up and got on covering my face with a hoodie.

''you okay Kalani ?'' the bus driver asked looking at me .

''yes.'' I said going on my phone.

ATL was a bad place. I wanted to get out of it , but first I had to graduate.

With the poor school systems , how was that about to happen ?

We pulled up to the school and I got off first running towards my friends .

''girl wassup witchu wearing makeup more often now.'' Kiya said hugging me.

''Trying sum new ?'' I said sounding unsure.