T H I R T Y-F O U R .

Kalani Amaya Lewis

Thursday, 9:45 am.

''Mannnn, 8th grade was fun but this right here? finna be litttt.'' I said to Kiya as we walked up the steps of our highschool.

''They always say highschool is hell.'' she mumbled.

''They just overexaggerating, shit look fun.'' I said grabbing her hand.

In Lunch.

''That's ya lil friend? she look sad better go cheer her up.''

''She fine, one of the happiest people I met.'' I said waving her off as Kiya sat at another lunch table eating by herself.

''Suppose to be friend though? I can tell ima like you, you're very fake.'' the girl said laughing.

''she a rookie, girl that shit not cute and I know you just coming from middle school, so Ima say this nicely but if I was her and you was fake to me, best believe yo ass would've been beat. Ion tolerate that fake shit.'' another girl said and I  stared at the table confused.

''Chill on ha.'' 

''Nah cause her friend looking like she bout to have her 13th reason or whatever and she all like forget her.''

''Forreal, you just pressed to become popular, slow down girl it's yo first day.''

''This was just a test boo, we don't really wan be yo friend and you fake pew.'' they said before walking away.

They whispered something to Kiya before leaving the cafeteria and she walked out shortly afterwards.

I got up and followed her.

''Kiya-

''You really fake.'' she said as we entered the bathroom.

''All I said was you was the happiest person I know..'' I said looking around.

''Lani look at me in the eyes and tell me that you think I'm happy!'' Kiya said teary eyed.

''...''

''You never noticed what was wrong, I needed you but you weren't there Lani.''

''where was you?'' she asked 

I felt to guilty because she needed me most and I wasn't paying her any attention.

''I didn't know you were sad..'' I mumbled.

''No you knew. Y'know this summer was rough for me.''

''Kiya I-'' 

The sound of my ringtone woke me up and I sat up sweating.

I looked at the time and it read 3:45 am, lately I been waking up at 3 am from dreams of either Kiya or the miscarriage.

I got up from bed and stood infront of my full body mirror pulling up my shirt revealing the scar from surgery.