Chapter 30

“Consider the chemical reaction that occurs when nitrosyl bromide (NOBr) decomposes to form nitrogen monoxide and bromine. How many dozen molecules of bromine will be formed if 2.8 dozen molecules of NOBr decompose?”.I tapped my pencil on the desk as I read over the last question for the fourth time. When I was studying, I kept getting this question wrong. I didn't read it to understand, so I always end up doing the wrong equation. Now that I had a sense of what the variables in the equations are and what they stood for, I was able to figure out how to go about solving the equation. “Since NoBr has a ratio of 1:1 and 2.8 dozen was formed that means it is split evenly” I whispered to myself. I divided the formed molecules by 2 and arrived at my answer that is 1.4.  I let out a sigh of relief as I got up to hand in my exam. I was not the first to finish but I was the happiest to be done. I was completely over school and studying at this point. As if I was not stressed already these tests and homework were killing me. 

I walked out of the testing room and went to the cafeteria to wait. Jimin and Taehyung were not done yet and I can't go anywhere without them. I sat at their designated table and scrolled through youtube to find something to watch. Clicking on a video I sat quietly listening to the podcast. Ten minutes in I was engrossed in the ladies' words of affirmation. They were speaking power and love into my life for free and how I could channel that energy into myself. "Eh-hem" a figure stood over me. I looked up to see Johnny. 

His dark black hair was now dark brown. He had an undercut that exposed a fresh tattoo on his neck. "Hey" awkwardly I got up from my seat. "Hey, long time no see. How are you?" he said. I nodded, "Yeah, I am good, better actually. How about you? Anything new?".

My chest became tight as I thought about the short time. Why did it have to end like this? Why didn't I end up with the one person that cared about me? I bit my tongue, that answer was evident in the way my life works. "I am ok, my dad finalized on my engagement. Im going to be a married man soon" he laughed awkwardly. My stomach started to churn as my eyes were stinging. "Really?... Congratulations" I tried to hide the tremble in my voice but it was even hard to convince myself. "I found out im engaged to, funny how the world works"  I laughed it off. 

"Yeah, but-" He began to say but someone came up behind him and locked arms with him. My eyes fell on a woman, tall and slim with long brunette hair and pretty eyes. She was the epitome of beauty. "Hey, are you almost done? Were going to be late" she looked at him and then at me. "Oh sorry, I didn't know you were talking to her. I will wait in the car" she let go of him. "No, it’s ok, I have to get going now anyway" I took up my bag. "Nice seeing you Johnny and nice to meet you uhm?" I asked. "Oh im Lina, nice to meet you" she smiled. "Nice to meet you Lina, im Y/n. Sorry, we couldn't chat longer. I have to go now" I let go of her hand and walked to the entrance of the cafeteria. Once I finally exited my eyes started to fill up.

I ran to the storage room and locked myself in there. Trying to quiet myself, I cried in my knees. My low sobs filled the packed dark room, it hurt even more because I could see some form of happiness he had with her by the way he looked at her. It just makes it easier to believe and to move on with the fact that it couldn't have been me all along even if I wanted it. 

I sat in the dark dusty room and sulked until I was silent. At this point, I was just numb and wanted to fall into a hole where the rest of my humanity was. I couldn’t even blame my parents for this because how could I compete with his first love? She was everything I was not and more. 

*knock knock knock* the intrusion of a knock from the door sounded so faded. I got up and wiped my face of dried tears before I walked to the door. *knock knock knock knock knock* “Y/n” the voice was so smooth and comforting as they called my name. I reached out to open the door but I couldn’t. “I know you’re in there, I saw you run in earlier but I just stayed out here until I thought you were ready… Just come out so we can go home” he said. Jimin stood on the other side of the unlocked door and waited. “Why did you wait for me?” I asked.  He let out a sigh. “I have no choice. It is my job to protect you, but even if I did I would not have done anything differently” he said. I opened the door to see him leaning on the wall next to the door.