Nightmares

After the pride had eaten they went back to Pride Rock and the ones who hadn't seen Marisa's son got an eyeful of the little bundle and congratulated Marisa on giving birth. Once everything died down, everyone went to their separate corners and settled down for the night. Several hours into the night, Kiara began to toss and turn in her sleep.

She was sweating profusely and breathing hard as she laid next to Kovu, overwhelmed with  memories of Tasha betraying her and joining Zayne, how she so shamelessly declared that she was in love with him and how she was pregnant with his cubs. The tragic loss of her pride members. The pain, sorrow and bereavement. It all came back to her with a rush.

What did Zayne give you that we couldn't?

Respect, honour, a place where I could call home. I never got those things here, you were always Mother and Father's favourite Kiara! They neglected me, they ignored me, they always made me stand in your shadow!

So this means you were pregnant before.

For a few days yes, ever since you were kidnapped actually. It was torture to stay away from my cub's father for so long. But it was necessary.

I left home when you were training for your first hunt not because I didn't want to serve as a distraction, but because I was suffocating! Suffocating from you, from Mother, from Father, from the rules, the regulations the expectations, EVERYTHING!

Well things aren't always the way they seem Mother! What's done is done I am leaving the Pride Lands and going off with my mate, there is nothing you can do to change that!

"STOP IT!" Kiara screamed.
Her scream woke up Kovu as well as Simba, Nala, Diana, Burnt Eboney, Vitani, Marisa, Kion and Rani.
"STOP IT! LEAVE! JUST LEAVE!" Kiara was fighting and crying in  her sleep while Kovu held her down, desperately trying to calm her before she hurt herself.

"Kiara! It's okay baby, it's just a nightmare, wake up. Wake up baby wake up! Kiara wake up!"
Her eyes flew open and she sat up, her breaths were laboured and her face was wet with tears.
"Hey baby, look at me, it's okay. I'm here, I'm here for you baby, I'm here," Kovu said soothingly as he rubbed her on her back.
"Kovu it was awful! Simply awful," Kiara whimpered as she hugged her mate while crying.

"Shh it's okay, everything's okay. It was just a nightmare, I'm here baby. I'm not going anywhere I promise. It's okay my love," Kovu calmed her down with his soft reassuring words.
"Is she okay?" Rani asked concerned for her sister-in-law.
"She hasn't had any nightmares for weeks. Ever since Tasha betrayed us, she's had constant nightmares," Kovu said lowly.

"I'm sorry I woke all of you," Kiara said apologetically as she turned to look at them.
"It's okay sweetheart, you didn't do it on purpose, everyone has a nightmare every once in a while," Nala said softly.
"I don't think I can go back to sleep," she said miserably.
"Let's go outside for a little bit. Maybe the air will ease your mind," Kovu said as he got up off the ground.

"But you've had a busy day, you have to get up early tomorrow to meet with the animals don't you?" Kiara asked.
"You listen to me, nothing is more important than you. Do you understand? You are the most important thing in my life and nothing or no-one can ever change that," Kovu said firmly as he tilted her head up.

"I know it's just that, you have things to do, I can't allow you to stay up with me all night and then you're tired all day tomorrow," Kiara said sadly.
"Baby it's okay, you'd have done the same for me if I were in your position. I'm your husband, can't I do this much for my wife?" Kovu asked as he nuzzled her affectionately on her face. 
"Of course you can," Kiara said.

"Why don't you all go back to sleep. It's late," Kovu said as he and Kiara walked out of the den.
"They look so cute together," Rani said with a smile.
"Yes they do. They're so young and such a beautiful couple. Kovu would do anything for Kiara. And Kiara would do anything for Kovu," Diana said as she went back to her corner with Burnt Eboney.

So everyone went back to sleep and Kiara and Kovu went onto the platform to relax in the quiet,  calming, serene night air. The sky was dark with a few stars and a cloud or two, owls and bats flew around and the breeze was slightly cold. Kiara leaned her head on Kovu's shoulders and sighed contentedly as the couple stood on the peak of Pride Rock, watching into the darkened savannah.

"This is nice, being out here with you, it's just so... relaxing," Kiara said smilingly.
"Yes, it's very nice. I knew being out here would make you feel better," Kovu murmured.
"Kovu can I ask you something?" Kiara inquired seriously.
"Anything at all baby. What's on your mind?" Kovu asked.
"If I ever strayed off the right path and did something wrong... something that is unforgivable. Would you still love me?"

Kovu grew silent, he hadn't expected such a question. But he knew the answer.
"Of course I will still love you. I know you Kiara. If you ever did something wrong, I'd bring you back on the right path,"
"Are you just saying that?"
"Where is this coming from?"

"I'm scared! What if Tasha comes back with them and tries to hurt us, what if...what if she tries to come back so she could exact revenge?" Kiara cried out as she walked away from Kovu and stood on the top of steps, tears falling down her face.
Kovu inhaled sharply and walked up to his love and placed a paw on her shoulder and turned her to face him.

"Baby I'm not going to let anyone hurt you ever again. You are my mate and the love of my life. I'm your husband. Do you know what that means?"
"It means that we are bound to each other by marriage?"
"Yes, but it also means that I made a promise that I will always protect you from harm. When we got married we were united as one. I won't allow anyone or anything to hurt you. This I swear,"

"What a fancy way of saying you love me," Kiara giggled.
"Shall I say it in a simpler way?" Kovu asked seductively.
"Please do," Kiara said with a purr as she caressed Kovu's face.
Kovu chuckled and  then leaned his head down and pressed his lips to Kiara's. The kiss was brief and yet so passionate.

When their lips detached, Kiara leaned back against Kovu and he put his head on top of hers. They were so relaxed as they sat on the platform, enjoying each other's company as well as the serene night air. Little knowing what troubles were lurking just beyond the horizon.