The bomb explodes

"Congratulations on your newborn son Rani, he is absolutely adorable and so healthy looking. You and Kion did a great job," Vitani said admirably as she gazed at Sadiki for the first time. After Kovu, Kiara, Vitani, Kion, Nirmala Taswira and Akida arrived at the Tree of Life, they went straight to see Rani who was in the tree with Sadiki nestled in her paws.

"Now you and Akida stay here, I'll hunt something for you both," Nirmala said. "You've been traveling non-stop and you need rest."
"Thank you Nirmala," Vitani said gratefully.
"In the meantime, why don't you tell us a little about yourself Akida?" Kovu asked taking a seat next to Kiara.

"Oh sure, I'm a lion, I have a burgundy mane, golden fur and silver eyes, I'm a wanderer, I eat meat like most canivires and I have a go-with-the-flow personality- humorous, nonjudgmental and extremely well put together," Akida said grinning.
"Isn't he just adorable?" Vitani asked nudging him playfully.
Kovu raised his eyebrows and Kiara stifled a giggle.

To say it was strange- hearing Vitani say someone was adorable; an a male lion at that, was worth investigating. Although Akida seemed harmless on the outside, Kovu didn't know him and the fact that he appeared the same day he and Kiara left the Pride Lands, aroused his suspicions. He'd keep a close eye on him, while being inconspicuously discreet of course.

"So how did you both get to the Tree of Life? Rafiki gave you directions?" Kiara asked in a friendly tone.
"Yeah he said there are two ways to get to the Tree of Life, he gave us the short way. We met a leopard on the way Shalini was his name. He led us through a shortcut," Vitani stated.

"And you don't know who poisoned you?" Kovu inquired.
"I don't know, and if I did trust me I would've called her out," Akida murmured.
"I can't see how you don't know her name, I mean, the lioness poisoned you, surely you must at least know something about her," Kovu insisted. "Could it be that you know her, but you're not admitting it?"

"What is this the third degree?! I told you I don't know her name, I don't know who she is, all I know is that she poisoned me and I'm dying in six days! Can you please stop it?!" Akida shouted.
Kiara, Kovu, Kion and Rani were taken aback by his outburst.

"In a way it is the third degree. I don't know you, and I find it suspicious that you arrived in the Pride Lands the same day we left," Kovu shot back. "Were you even poisoned in the first place?"
"You clearly have trust issues. That's your problem not mine," Akida said sarcastically.

"Akida what's wrong with you? Don't speak to him that way," Vitani said. "He's just trying to find some answers, that's all."
"Funny, you did the same thing when you met me. Judgemental issues probably run in the family," Akida said lowly.

"That's not it! The poison is affecting your thinking, take some rest. Nirmala will be here in a few minutes to help you," Vitani said soothingly.
"The poison is not only affecting my thinking it's also affecting my emotional capacity! How could I be so stupid to believe I could ever-" Akida stopped mid sentence and closed his mouth.

Vitani inhaled sharply. She knew where this was going.
"Why'd you stop? Continue, what were you about to say?"
"Nevermind, forget I even said anything," he murmured.
"No I'm not forgetting it, tell me what's wrong!" Vitani shouted.
"Drop this discussion before we say things we can't take back," Akida growled. "Just. Forget. It."

"Fine! Don't say anything. I'm sick of your mood swings and your temperamental attitude. Go somewhere, be by yourself if that's what you want. Drop down dead for all I care!" Vitani said angrily.
"Vitani!" Kiara and Kovu said in unison.

Akida looked at Vitani, his silver eyes bleak. He smiled sadly
"Maybe I will. I'm sorry for wasting your time Vitani, thanks for risking your life for me. I'll get out of your life now, you'll never have to see me again. I'll go now." he said getting up and walking out of the Tree, his head bent dejectedly

Vitani froze. What did she just say? She got up and grabbed his shoulder before he could leave. "Akida I'm sorry I didn't mean that," she said stepping in front of him.
"Thank you for your help Vitani, I won't be a burden anymore," he said monotonously. "Forgive me for the trouble."

"No you aren't a trouble, I'm sorry Akida!" Vitani said desperately.
"Goodbye Vitani. It was nice to meet you," he walked past her and left the tree. Vitani dropped down on the ground, her ears hung low. Tears stung her eyes and her heart clenched in her chest.
"I'm sorry Akida, I didn't mean that," she whispered.

Kovu approached Vitani and placed a paw on her shoulder.
"I'm sorry sis, I never should said those things to him,"
"He's gone Kovu, he's gone," Vitani sobbed as she turned and hugged Kovu tightly while crying into his fur.
"Shh, it's okay, it's okay, I'm here. I'm here," Kovu said soothingly as he hugged his sister while stroking her head.

"He left me just like Azaan, he left me Kovu, and I pushed him away," Vitani clung to her brother, her face hidden in his fur as tears ran down her face.
"Let's give them a minute you guys," Kiara said softly as she led the way out of the tree. Kion picked up Sadiki and walked out with the cub, Rani right behind him.

Vitani didn't mean to say such things to Akida. She had no intention of hurting him. She knew he was in pain, the poison was slowly taking over and controlling his actions, making him kash out. She should've known not to aggravate him. But she did.

Watching him walk away had awoken something deep inside her. Something she had buried and moved on from. Akida woke that feeling up and it came to her with a rush that filled her up with three different, equally devasting emotions.
Regret. Longing. Desire. She pushed him away and she regretted every minute of it.