25.

Y/N's P.O.V. 

"I literally can't apologise enough." I looked at John and Mary apologetically.
"I don't know what happened, I was exhausted and-"

"Y/N, it's okay. I shouldn't have asked you to look after Rosie on your own. I didn't think we'd be gone for so long." John shook his head.
"It's impressive, really. Even we have to take turns looking after her because she can be a bit too much, but doing it alone?" John laughed slightly.
"You've got a talent for looking after kids."

"Don't worry, you're not on babysitting duty again anytime soon, unless you want to be." Mary chuckled, after seeing my discomfort.
"And you really don't have to apologise. Rosie and Redbeard were fine, a little hungry, but fine." I nodded my head, knowing she was right. We continued to talk and I told them about everything even remotely interesting Rosie did, which seemed to make them both smile. I was pulling my coat on to go back to Baker Street when all three of our phones chimed at once.

"Sherlock?" I guessed, reading the message.

"Yep." They said in unison, getting up.

"Oh, no. We can't just go." Mary pulled a face.

"Rosie." John sighed.
"Uh, you two go."

"No!" Mary protested.

"I'll come as soon as I've found someone." John sighed.
"Mrs. Hudson?"

"Cornwall 'till Saturday." I reminded.
"I made that mistake, remember?"

"Molly." Mary suggested.

"Uh, yeah. I'll try." John nodded.

"Well, we should both stay and wait for her. Y/N, you go to Sherlock." Mary suggested and John shook his head.

"No, that's not going to happen. If there's more to this case then you're the one who needs to see it, Mary." John looked at his wife.

"Yeah, okay. You win." Mary moved towards the door.
"Y/N?" I shook my head, no and John called Molly, telling her he needed an emergency babysitter.

"You should have gone with Mary." John muttered.

"She'll be with Sherlock." I sighed.
"Besides, you keep saying everything's alright, but it's not. You're still mad at me, furious even."

"No-"

"Don't deny it, John, I can see right through you, remember? I can smell a lie half a mile off, so don't try lying to my face, it doesn't end well." I sighed.
"I know you're pissed about Rosie and understandably so. I fucked up."

"No, Y/N. It wasn't your fault." John sighed, but he was clearly upset.
"Molly's on her way-"

"John, let it out." I looked at him with a small smile and he looked confused.
"Don't change the subject. Sherlock's text seemed pretty urgent, whatever we're going to walk into can't be pretty. I'm not going to be able to concentrate if I know you're mad at me." John didn't look convinced.
"Okay, I will be able to concentrate, but I'd prefer it if there was no bad blood between us. So scream at me, hit me, whatever it is you've got to do to get it out of your system."

"I'm not going to do that." John sighed.

"Do I have to hit you first? I will, you're being a tad bit annoying right now."

~

"Mary!" John screamed as we pushed through the crowd of people. John dropped down next to his wife, who's chest was bleeding very heavily from a gunshot wound.

"John." She whimpered and I looked at Sherlock, seeing a horrified look on his face.

"Mary? Mary, come on. Stay with me." A lump formed in my throat as Mary sobbed.

"Come on, Doctor. You can do better than that." Mary joked as John repeated her name.
"John, I think this is it."

"No, no, no, no. It's not. It's..." John looked at me as I covered my mouth, feeling sick. John had screamed at me until he was red in the face before Molly had arrived to look after Rosie. We cleared the air between us and I was incredibly thankful we had. Mary wasn't walking away from this and John would need as many friends as he could get.

"You made me so happy. You gave me everything I could have ever, ever... have wanted." Mary gasped as John shushed her.
"Look after Rosie." She cried.
"Promise me?"

"I promise, Shh." John pushed her hair out of her face as she cried.
"I promise, I promise."

"Hey, Sherlock? Y/N?" Mary whimpered and I kneeled down next to her, putting my hand over her bloodied one.

"Yes?" Sherlock asked, his voice cracking slightly.

"I really like you, Sherlock. Did I ever say that?" Mary asked with a smile.

"Yes, yes, you did." Sherlock nodded.

"I'm sorry for shooting you that time. I'm really sorry. I think we're even now, okay?" Sherlock replied, but I wasn't listening. Mary turned her hand around, gripping mine back.
"Look after these two, okay, Y/N? Look after these two and Rosie and yourself. Please."

"Of course, I will." I whispered.
"I swear to you, I will." She nodded her head, before turning back to John and I stood up. Sherlock wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face in his chest, silent tears running down my face. After a few moments the room grew deafeningly quiet and Sherlock tightened his hold on me. Mary Watson was gone. She was dead.