Chapter 6

Cray

"That will be your room."

Napatingin ako sa pinto ng room na itinuro ni Ember. That's her spare room na ginawa nitong storage room noon. I can clearly remember how we childishly arranged this unit.

It's been years, Ember. You could have changed this unit like the way you wanted.

Pinagmasdan ko lang yung mural painting na ginawa namin noon. We painted the walls based on how we felt that time. Free. Bold. Fearless. That's all visible on the strokes and the vivid colors of the mural.

Ember likes plain black and white. But I suggested that her place should be lively and that she should choose lively colors than neutral ones. Para kahit mag-isa ito ay mauplift pa din yung mood nito.

Akala ko nga nung umalis ako, ay babaguhin na nito yung kulay at decor ng unit nito. Sabi kasi nito noon, sa oras na umalis ako, wala na akong babalikan pa.

Yet, she still kept the same place after all these years.

"Nothing has changed in this place." hindi ko mapigilan na magkomento.

Tumango lang ito at iginala yung mata sa loob ng unit nito. The glimmer in her eyes is giving the vibe that she's also reminiscing the memories we had in here.

"I haven't used this ever since I've left to go to New York. Hindi na din ako nakabalik agad."

Maang na napatitig ako dito. Ito naman ay tila nahihiyang nag-iwas lang ng tingin.

"So, you've really joined the competition." Ngumiti ako dito. A sincere one.

Maybe because part of me is guilty for leaving her behind. But that's for the betterment of both of us. Kung mananatili kami dito sa bansa, hindi namin mararating kung ano yung narating namin. Baka pareho lang kaming anino ng kanya kanyan naming mga magulang. We both got big dreams. I'm just sincerely happy that she chase her dreams too. Kahit pa reluctant ito noon na umalis ng bansa.

"I see that you've really cut ties with me." She gently scratch her nape to hide her disappointment. But her tone is not good at hiding it. I can clearly hear it.

Guilty na tumango na lang ako. Mahirap naman magdeny kung alam na nito dahil nadulas na ko.

"I was too busy in my training that time. We weren't allowed to communicate in the outside world while we're still in the training camp. I was running for my first Open competition. You can't blame me."

That was the time when we both graduated from highschool. I was granted my admission for the Junior Australian Open Tennis that time. Samantalang ito naman ay may invitation noon na sumali sa Regeneron STS. Lalo pa at naging matunog yung pangalan nito dahil sa mga imbensyon at ideya nito matapos itong manalo sa Science National competition at mapataob yung anak ng kilalang scientist na nanalo ng Nobel prize. That championship opened a lot of doors for her all across the globe.

She's a Silva. Of course, everyone will be interested of her. Silvas run the leading IT company here. Tapos yung Tita Candice pa nito ay kilalang imbentor sa Switzerland na pinag aagawan noon ng US at Russia.

So why Ember? Bakit mo kinukulong yung sarili natin sa ganito? You are bigger than me. You've got more achievements. You're more popular. So why?

"Did you won the competition?"

Sa sinabi ko ay tila binuhusan naman ito ng malamig na tubig. Halatang lalong nadismaya sa itinanong ko.

"Don't act interested if you weren't."

Fine. Maybe I got insensitive for asking. I should have checked it myself. My lack of interest in the matter is offending her.