13

Rosalis climbed out from the lake and onto the shore, coughing and spluttering, spitting out the freshwater. Disorientated, she picked a path and proceeded to walk down it. Suddenly, something looked familiar to her. It was the old town that she had walked through before entering Wolfgrimm's domain. She stumbled over to one rickety house and saw a sign hung up on it. Merek Drestio, herbalist. It was better than nothing. She banged her fist on the door. After a couple of moments, it opened up and it was then that she fainted, collapsing right in front of him. He stepped back slightly in shock, letting her fall to the floor, but then he grabbed her, dragging her over to a chair. He hauled her up and sat her down in it. He looked at the scratch on her pauldron. He looked at her.

"You do not mind if I take off your armour?" He asked. Rosalis waved a hand weakly. Merek proceeded with stripping her of her armour and looked at the bruises and cuts that she had sustained. "You poor girl." He mumbled. Taking a small wooden bowl, he proceeded with grinding up a mixture and began to dab it onto her wounds. She winced slightly. The mixture was quickly applied and Merek looked at her. Rosalis sat by the crackling fire, staring into the flames, almost mesmerised by them. "You seem to be in shock." Merek said. "Would you like something to drink?"

Without one hesitation, Rosalis immediately answered him. "Wine."

The herbalist grabbed a wooden chalice and uncorked a bottle, poured the wine for her. He handed her the cup and she gulped down a significant portion, some drops splashing onto the floor. She wiped her mouth and looked down at the stains.

"Sorry." She said.

"It's alright." Merek replied calmly. "You are heavily wounded and in shock. You can rest here for as long as you need to. I shall sleep on the floor."

"I don't think–" Rosalis went to say but was cut off.

"Please. You are my guest, allow me to give you the treatment that you deserve. It does not feel right to force a wounded woman to sleep on a cold stone floor."

Rosalis nodded once. "Thank you."

Merek nodded back. "It is my pleasure."

Rosalis laid in Merek's bed at night and stared up at the ceiling, wondering how she was going to complete her quest. All of her companions had been killed and she was on her own. She was the only person in the land that had the power to stop Wolfgrimm and prevent Frinnor from destruction.